Question Unanswered: What is the most efficient and professional model?

Hello,
    I have a very limited experience in databases, so please try to give easy-to-grasp answers.

I building a website which is semi computer parts store, I;m saying semi because there won't be any actual byuing or selling, it's just a place for computer parts shops to offer their products along with the price, and make this available for visitors, more of a classifieds exclusively for computer parts than a store or shop.

So, I need to design an MS SQL database for this purpose but with the following considerations:

I'm not going to clatter my frontpage with usual category A(12) category B (3), etc... like most craigslist and most other stores. All I'm going to put on the frontpage is a dynamically populated dropdown boxes, that is when somebody select the "Processors" category from the first dropdown, another one called "Brand" will get populated with "Intel" and "AMD", then another one called "Model", and yet another one called "Cache",...and so on with other category-specific attributes.

If another category other than processors were selected, the other dropdown boxes would have been different in names and count as per the category-specific attributes.

Now I'm somehow convinced that this is can be done in more than one way, but I want the most efficient and professional one that is future-proof because this is a very fast changing market, and I don't want to find myself dropping and creating tables just to cope with the change. Another very important thing is the performance, so I don't want it to take forever for the visitor or a seller just to search or add a product.

I know this was long, I'm sorry for that but I wanted to explain to you exactly what I'm up to and what I need. So, please help!

Thanks in advance

Provided Answers: 54
    What you want can be done, but that's not how people shop anymore. You'd have a web site that would make a web programming instructor nod sagely and say "Yes, you have the concepts" but which would make a potential buyer laugh, possibly stop to nominate your site for The Daily WTF, and then move on to a site where they might choose to buy something.

Imagine how you'd feel if you found a site that worked as you described. How long would you stay at that site? You really need to reconsider your site design. That might have worked circa 1995, but I can't imagine it working today.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi Pat,

Well, first thanks for your reply, but do you think that I'm not aware that
    that's not how people shop anymore
    ?
    Of course I do but that's not true where I live, ecommerce and buying online hasn't become common yet. So, I need to provide my people of what makes their lives easier, and believe me this is really good.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    Are you intent on writing this yourself? If not, have a look at nopCommerce (open source .NET cms) and see if does what you want. They have some reasonably useful facilities for dealing with product attribute sets.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by smu View Post
    Of course I do but that's not true where I live, ecommerce and buying online hasn't become common yet.
    Egypt has a very active online community, and Giza is second only to Cairo in terms of internet sophistication there.

I know that region. I do business there. and even though I haven't been there for three years, they were WELL past that stage of "internet savvy" and moving rapidly to parity with the EU and the US. Based on my customers there, there isn't a significant difference in taste/savvy between them and anywhere else in the middle east, and not a lot of difference between them and the leading edge of internet users.

If yoiu are going to try to trick someone, pick someone that at least isn't familiar with where you choose to try and trick them.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Angry

yamsyamsyamsyamsyams
    Last edited by Teddy; 09-27-10 at 20:16. Reason: yams

Well, that was an unfortunate decision.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    What you want can be done, but that's not how people shop anymore
    Au contraire mon frere.
    Most large retail websites use context-specific search levels these days, to allow you to narrow in on the product you want.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    Most large retail websites use context-specific search levels these days, to allow you to narrow in on the product you want.
    Via drop down boxes??? Where?

-PatP

Not drop down boxes, no. Usually a list of further choice displayed off to the left-hand side.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com