Thread: db2 unicode

Unanswered: db2 unicode

Hi All,

Need some help here..

Platform: Linux Redhat
    DB2 version : v9.1 FP5 ESE

Currently the database is being configured as UTF8 with codepage 1208.
    I have some of the table stored in japanase character.

So, was wondering how can i read japanese character from the terminal? locally (from the db) and client.
    I have try to set the codepage to 1208 for the client side, and still cannot read japanese.
    Even try to change the locale but also no use.
    However, if i were to use db2cc to connect remotely and extract the data, i manage to read japanese.
    So.. was wondering is it might due to the OS compatibility but i have set the locale to ja_JP.utf8, ja_JP.eucjp and ja_JP.ujis, but still i can't read japanese.

Can anyone here give me some hint to tell me as why i can't read japanese from the client or database side.
    Is there any way that my client can read japanese?

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 1
    It is the client application responsibility to display characters as required by the user. db2cc is a Java-based application, which supports Unicode. You will need to figure out how to configure your other client applications (e.g. your terminal) to display Unicode characters properly.

This is an OS issue since you are using the OS command line (terminal). I would ask this question in an Linux Forum or contact Red Hat support.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

well, here's the problem. i am using db2 client to access to the database and i am running in linux. so obviously, i would be running the commands in the linux terminal (command line base).

right now, i have set the OS locale, db2 client codepage 1208, database is in UTF8 and codepage 1208.
    So what other else that i miss out in order for my db2 client to read unicode from the database which is configured as UTF8.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eddy_ng View Post
    well, here's the problem. i am using db2 client to access to the database and i am running in linux. so obviously, i would be running the commands in the linux terminal (command line base).

right now, i have set the OS locale, db2 client codepage 1208, database is in UTF8 and codepage 1208.
    So what other else that i miss out in order for my db2 client to read unicode from the database which is configured as UTF8.

Thanks.
    Sounds like a Linux command line problem. What makes you think your Linux command line can display any unicode characters, regardless of whether they come from DB2 for just a cat or vi of a file?
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Well, not to say linux command line. I even try on windows where i have install the language pack and switch the regional to Japanese and uses db2 client windows to access to a db2 database with UTF8 and i still can't display the japanese character correctly.
    From here, i am very sure that my windows machine can display japanese as i can type and display japanese in excel, words document and etc. So, what else would be the cause rather than the db2 client itself?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eddy_ng View Post
    uses db2 client windows to access to a db2 database with UTF8 and i still can't display the japanese character correctly.
    From here, i am very sure that my windows machine can display japanese as i can type and display japanese in excel, words document and etc.
    "db2 client windows" and "excel, words document and etc." are different applications. The fact that you can see Japanese characters in MS Word does not mean that "db2 client windows", whatever that is, is configured properly to display such characters.

well, if that's the case, any chances or ways that i can output the results with japanese character from the db2 client?

I think there are good chances of that, however, since you never told us what is it that you are referring to as "the db2 client", I doubt anyone can help you.