Unanswered: How to ping online server to get latest version# of my database?

For customers using my database, I'd like the system to look somewhere on the net to compare their version# with the latest version# I've released to see if they need an update.

Any code blocks out there to use?

thanks

Not sure ping would be very useful for this. It would only tell you if the machine is reachable.

It is possible to download a file from a web site that contains the current version.

See: Download a file from a URL

I use the above method to download a text file with the current version number. If a new version number is found, it downloads the update and unzips it.

Also see:
    Check for updates and distribute MS Access applications over the internet.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Provided Answers: 59
    presumably if you know your customers you could send them an email or similar to tell them a new version is available. I can't see any advantage in getting the app to phone home, especially if you care concerned about people copying the app in the first place

I can see some installations being unhappy at the idea of your application connecting to the outside world, especially when there is no compelling reason for the app to do so
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks guys. I'm really just trying to wrap my head around all this as I look to take my product out to some 5000 franchise owners and trying to make sure I have some of my bases covered, perhaps adding some bells and whistles.

Obviously simple piracy is my main concern, but realize its part of the business, just trying to make it difficult for an already non-tech audience. Most of the piracy would be the simple hand-off. Checking for an update would certainly give me an IP, which probably doesn't do me much good.

I'm getting a headache from all this

Doing automatic updates is very common and IMHO a more professional way. There are lots of very popular commercial apps that do this.

I do it with all my higher end ($$$$$) apps.

Checking for an update would certainly give me an IP, which probably doesn't do me much good.
    Not sure what you mean by this. Having a static IP will probably be a requirement for the server that will hold the updates.

Note: This is not just an issue with Access. Every software development platform has this issue.

There is also this: Web Updater
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11