Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: How Not To Show A Calculated Field In Query Results

Hi all,

Should be a simple one but I can't seem to find the answer by searching the forum/google.

I want to calculate the average of five fields and return the average in a query, so I have set up my query as follows based on a thread I found on google:
    Code:
    SELECT Data1,Data2,Data3,Data4,Data5, 
        (Data1+Data2+Data3+Data4+Data5) as Total, 
        (IIf(Data1=0,0,1)+IIf(Data2=0,0,1)+IIf(Data3=0,0,1)+IIf(Data4=0,0,1)+IIf(Data5=0,0,1))  As Avg, 
        IIF (Avg=0,0,Total/Avg) as Average) 
    FROM tablename
    The Total and Avg calculated fields are only intermediary fields to make the query easier to read. How do I not display them in the query results? I only want to display Data1,Data2,Data3,Data4,Data5 and Average. I'm sure this is a simple flag somewhere but I can't seem to find it!

Thanks,

In the query grid, there is a row labeled 'Show' with a checkbox.....uncheck the box.

Hi rogue,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I should have mentioned in my first post that I'd tried that, but when I untick them and run the query I then get prompted to input values for the two calculated fields which are unticked?

It sounds like if you're going to use them in the calculation, they have to be visible. You could use (Data1+Data2+Data3+Data4+Data5) /((IIf(Data1=0,0,1)+IIf(Data2=0,0,1)+IIf(Data3=0,0, 1)+IIf(Data4=0,0,1)+IIf(Data5=0,0,1))) AS Average rather than creating two fields that you don't seem to actually need. As a side note...I'm not sure how your data populated, but you may want to make use of the NZ function to ensure proper handling of any null values.

Provided Answers: 59
    unless you are using the raw query to display data then you are stuffed
    just don't use the column in a form or report
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks peeps. At least now that I know that it can't be done directly, I can work around it.

Cheers
    Last edited by Colin Legg; 09-28-10 at 05:28.

Code:
    SELECT Data1,Data2,Data3,Data4,Data5, Average
    FROM (SELECT Data1,Data2,Data3,Data4,Data5,      (Data1+Data2+Data3+Data4+Data5) as Total,      (IIf(Data1=0,0,1)+IIf(Data2=0,0,1)+IIf(Data3=0,0,1)+IIf(Data4=0,0,1)+IIf(Data5=0,0,1))  As Avg,      IIF (Avg=0,0,Total/Avg) as Average)  FROM tablename) AS derived_table
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

I've been itching to try this out but until now I haven't had time. Using Pootle's suggestion and incorporating NZ() to handle null values works like a charm in Access, so thank you both.

Follow up question.

If I call this query from Excel using ADO, the derivedtable fields are not being returned - only the fields from the tablename table are. Do I need to check my code or is this not possible to do via ADO?

Hmmm, ah dinnaw.

Is the SQL inline in Excel or saved as a query in Access? TBH I don't understand why it would not return the same via ADO as in Access. Can you post the code?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

I'm calling the query which is saved in Access. I think that if I were to build the query inline within Excel VBA then I'd have to re-write it because the NZ() function wouldn't be recognised. There's a fair bit of code - I have a class wrapper to do all the fancy ADO stuff - so, given that it's theoretically possible to return a recordset from the derived table, I'll try to do some debugging myself before taking up too much more of your valuable time. If I get really stuck then I'll post back!

Thanks Pootle.

Calling a stored query containing a derived table with renamed columns via ADO works fine for me.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Been working on this a bit more... if you include the NZ() function in the saved query, do you get an undefined function VBA runtime error?

Not tried. NZ() is only shorthand for IIF() though so you could just replace them.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Thanks, that's resolved it.
    I replaced expressions like this:
    Code:
    NZ(Data1,0)+NZ(Data2,0)
    with
    Code:
    IIF(ISNULL(Data1),0,Data1)+IIF(ISNULL(Data2),0,Data2)
    and it's running fine now.

Thanks again!

PS. Next time you're in London give me a shout and I'll buy you a beer.

Minor, but this is more efficient:
    Code:
    IIF(Data1 IS NULL,0,Data1)+IIF(Data2 IS NULL,0,Data2)
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump