Question Unanswered: Need Access to Word help!

I need to have a way to move data from Access to Word. I'm trying to do a mail merge of sorts, but the difference is that each record needs to have its own document. These documents will be uploaded to a document imaging system/database. (It has to go this route, I can't write to the other database directly). I have code that works, but we will be creating about 5,000 documents at a time and it takes about 45 minutes to run, mostly because of the 'printing... .doc' message that pops up for every document. A second reason for its slowness is the fact I'm creating a new query 5,000, once for every record.

Can I get rid of that popup? Or is there a better way? Here is my code:

strSQL = "SELECT ID FROM tblCaseload WHERE CreationDate >= #" & datCreationDate & "#"

datTimerStart = Now()

''count records
    Set rst1 = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL)
    rst1.MoveLast
    lngCount = rst1.RecordCount
    lngLoop = 0

vbPrint = MsgBox("Do you want to create the " & lngCount & " items?", vbYesNo, "CONFIRM TO CONTINUE")

If vbPrint = vbYes Then
    'continue
    Else 'cancel
    MsgBox "Job has been cancelled.", , "Job cancelled"
    Exit Sub
    End If

''delete exsting query
    Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef

For Each qdf In CurrentDb.QueryDefs
    If qdf.Name = "qryCaseload" Then
    CurrentDb.QueryDefs.Delete "qryCaseload"
    Exit For
    End If
    Next

Set qdf = Nothing

'*************** Create Items ***********************

rst1.MoveFirst
    Do Until rst1.EOF

strID = rst1("ID")
    strFileName = strID & ".doc"

Set qDefNew = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("qryCaseload", "SELECT * FROM tblCaseLoad WHERE ID = '" & strID & "'")

'this report uses qryCaseload as its record source
    DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "REPORT Caseload", acFormatRTF, strPath & strFileName

CurrentDb.QueryDefs.Delete qDefNew.Name

Set qDefNew = Nothing

rst1.MoveNext

lngLoop = lngLoop + 1

Loop

rst1.Close
    Set rst1 = Nothing

Provided Answers: 6
    I don't know of a way to get rid of the pop up, but my guess would be that it's only up while Access is busy outputting the report anyway, so I doubt it slows you down much. Rather than the whole QueryDef route, which would slow things down a bit, I use this type of thing:

Emailing a different report to each recipient

In your loop you'd copy the current ID to a form textbox, then output the report. The code in the report would use that textbox to filter itself.

Edit: another option would be to base the report on a query that included a criteria pointing to that textbox. It makes the report a little less flexible, but avoids the code in the report.
    Paul

Thumbs up

Thanks, Mr. Pbaldy.

Interesting idea that I will try today. As long as I can use two criteria - ID & CreationDate, it should work. You don't know how hard I looked to find something usable. I kept looking for things like "export report to Word" and got all kinds of mail merge hits, but nothing like this. I almost feel silly for not thinking of trying a form in the first place because it is so simple.

Provided Answers: 6
    Happy to help, and welcome to the site by the way! Post back if you get stuck (two criteria should be no problem).
    Paul

Thanks, Mr. Pbaldy.