Greetings Database Aficionados

Hi there!

Trying my hand at making a simple database. What I am hoping to get from this community is a place to start...which software, etc.

What I want to do, and I know this sort of sounds lame, is track quests within an MMO game. (Everquest 2). I need each user to be able to register, then login to a front end to use the database. The database needs to track certain quest lines and each step in the quest line. The user would select which quests they are on, etc. Also there needs to be some sort of reporting function to view the data collectively. Any thoughts, ideas, questions? oh, and this will all be stored (hosted) online.

P.S. I am also new to database making, however I have done a bit of programming.

Well, I guess I will try to find the information on my own, thanks anyway.

You don't get a lot of technical comment in a "New Users" forum. Unfortunately, your thread doesn't really fit in any particular forum category because you're looking for direction on which tool to use and that tool will point us to a forum.

If you already have a hosting provider like Site 5 or Go Daddy, then I'd strongly suggest that you check to see what tools they offer and support. This would be thousands of times less work than doing a "roll your own" project when your service provider can do some or most of the leg work for you!

Before you get too frisky writing something, I'd strongly suggest looking at one or more of the CMS (Content Managment System) packages like Drupal, XOOPS, or Joomla. One of them may either already have a modulue that is suitable for what you want, or at least one that is pretty close that you could modify or extend. This is usually a lot easier to implement, and as new versions of the underlying CMS tools are release you get additional functionality for little or no effort on your part!

If none of these pan out for you, post back and we'll try to help from there. You might need to PM me as I'm not always religious about reading the New Member forum, the moderators take turns so I might miss your post if you don't "ping" me!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks for the response, I will check those tools out.