Unanswered: Shrinking the MSDB logs

the MSDB log is about 15 GB whereas the data file is only 6 GB. Is there a way to shrink the MSDB log?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 11
    Are you backing up the log for the msdb database?

no I am not. The recovery model for that DB is set to simple , can you change that to Full?

Thanks,

Run this in the msdb database. It will show which table(s) are taking up most of the space. a 6 GB msdb database is odd.
    Code:
    select object_name(p.object_id), p.index_id, f.name, sum(total_pages)/128, convert(varchar(10), getdate(), 101), count(*) as partitions
    from sys.partitions p join
        sys.allocation_units a on p.partition_id = a.container_id join
        sys.filegroups f on a.data_space_id = f.data_space_id
    group by p.object_id, p.index_id, f.name
    order by sum(total_pages)/128 desc
    To physically shrink the logfile, you can simply run DBCC SHRINKFILE (2, 1000), but I am unconvinced it will remain small for very long, as something has ballooned it to 16 GB, and I am not sure what that could be.

but to be able to issue the DBCC SHRINKFILE (2, 1000), do I have to change the recovery model to full and get a couple of log backups?

Thanks,

Not if it is in SIMPLE recovery mode. All that needs to be done is to make sure that the high Water Mark of the log file is low enough. If you don't get all the space back in the first run, run CHECKPOINT a few times to force the log to switch to a lower position in the file.