Unanswered: Install my product to what directory (curse you Vitualstore)?

First off, thanks for all the help here so far. I hope to reciprocate soon

So I feel dumb. I've been working feverishly getting my access database product ready to sell to the market and just as I was making discs of my demo version I found out something quite disturbing. I had to cancel my opening act.

I've been installing to C:\Program files\mydirectory and that's been working great on XP and seemingly on Vista & Win7. I tried installing on all three OS's and all worked great. But I saw a little change I needed in one of the forms. So I fixed it and re-installed to all the computers. Low and behold thew Vista and Win7 still showed the old version!?!?!?!?

After pulling my heair out for an hour I finally came across the whole VirtualStore thing such that if you try to re-install to Program Files it will not actually overwrite, even if you PASTE it in there. It keeps the original version and store the new version in some virtual store directory.

So my question is, is where would you set up your database? In the applications directory? If so, then what goes in the Program Files?

I got no sleep last night. I was counting on knowing exactly where my database was stored so that updates could find update accordingly.

Maybe I'[ve answered my own questions and this is a rant of sorts. Effing Vista/Win7 so called protection measures

Thanks

Is your database split?

An Access database is really data not an application. The application is actually Microsoft Access.

I would recommend installing into the profile for the user or all users. If you use an appropriate environment variable then it it will always go the the correct place for that OS.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Okay, I've figured out the APPDATA variable and changed my install to "install" it there. I'm getting a good feel now about this.

About split databases. I have one concern.

I'd like to install as split for obvious update-ease reasons, BUT, will the links still work between the FE and BE if they are placed into a directory that is not definitive? Meaning, my app-directory is "OWNER", but if there's is "JOESMITH" will the table link still work? I'm thinking no.

If the link no longer works I have to resort to "Send a new mde database with forms and then import the tables from the current, then rename.

Time to experiment.

Provided Answers: 59
    there is code in code bank to handle remote automatic deployment of access apps
    there are techniques to link tables programtically
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by ronosh View Post
    Okay, I've figured out the APPDATA variable and changed my install to "install" it there. I'm getting a good feel now about this.

About split databases. I have one concern.

I'd like to install as split for obvious update-ease reasons, BUT, will the links still work between the FE and BE if they are placed into a directory that is not definitive? Meaning, my app-directory is "OWNER", but if there's is "JOESMITH" will the table link still work? I'm thinking no.

If the link no longer works I have to resort to "Send a new mde database with forms and then import the tables from the current, then rename.

Time to experiment.
    If you are deploying your front end an an MDE then you can't import forms, reports, or modules.

You just simply replace the front end MDE.

I always include VBA code that works liker a link table manager. If the back end is not found then it asks for the location.

If the front end and back end are both located in the same local folder (stand alone database app that is NOT shared) I just auto relink to the back end in the same folder.

See:
    Relink Access tables from code
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

I would be sending MDE updates that included all the forms/queries/etc and that would import the tables from their old version.

My customer base is not computer savvy in the least and even prompting them to locate their BE database constitutes a nightmare. I want it all automatic, but since I know that it will reside in their APPDATA directory I could code the link manager.

I will peek at that code, keeping in mind I want to keep things as "safe" as possible to prevent having to remote in (which NEVER seems to work) or talk them through something.

Provided Answers: 59
    the whole point about the code provided by PK Stormy is that it is transparent, your user doesn't even know whats going on. they don't need to be computer savvy. they just need to open the app as PKS suggests
    Last edited by healdem; 10-04-10 at 15:01.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton