Unanswered: Difference between Access standalone and bundled Access

Recently I ordered Access 2002 on Amazon. The seller however shipped me Office XP Professional instead which includes Access 2002. My question is, is there any difference between the Access on the standalone vs in the packaged deal. I don't anticipate using any of the other office programs as I have 2003, I would just use Access. Are you able to install only Access on the bundled? Why would the standalone Access 2002 cost more than XP professional? Thks Joshua

Yes it is possible to install just Access XP (2002) from the Office Pro suite.

There is only one version of Access 2002 (XP). You can by is separate or part of an Office Suite. You get the exact same a Access either way.

Curious, why do you want or need Access 2002 if you have Office 2003?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Provided Answers: 59
    there could be a problem with libraries
    so make certain the install is done into a different directory to the office 2003 version
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I have Office home edition for 2003. Also, previously I created a lot in 2002. What improvements were made in 2003 over 2002? At one point I had heard that Access 2003 had some unresolved issues with its VBA, have you heard of any such issues? (might not be true) I was planning on updating referrences.

It's kind of silly but I feel a little gouged that I paid 85 bucks for Access 2002 and received Office XP (2002) which retails used on the same site for about half the price of 2002. I'm sure this is due to availability and not actual perceived value but still I'm probably going to return and buy again at the 40-something price or get Access 2003 if you think it is robust. (also to give you some background, about a year ago, I bought Access 2007 and was so burned by it that I probably was overly cautious about securing the edition I had done most of my work on.)

Thanks!

Joshua

IMHO Access 2003 is the better than 2002. All the developer I know use 2003.

Since the Microsoft Office products have shared components, it is generally best to have the same version of all the Office products on one PC. Less possibilities for issues.

Be sure to install all the updates for Office 2002 (XP) to insure that Access works properly.

Curious, How were you burned with 2007?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

I created a program in 2002 for processing Amazon orders utilizing APIs. I had everything working well without but when I pulled over to 2007, it seemed unpredictable, APIs sometimes running predictably, othertimes not. Formatting was a similar issue. I may format the size of a form, save and view in form view and see that it is correct but if I toggle between design view and form view once more, it reverted its size back. All this not to mention the general frustration of Office 2007 throwing up all menu dropdown items onto the screen. Office 2007 = User abuse