Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Why Did You Choose PostgreSQL?

Just wondering what reason(s) did you elect PostgreSQL as your database of choice? I switched from MySQL just because I had only been using / learning SQL with MySQL for about 3 months and every single person I asked recommended PgSQL over MySQL so why not use what everyone indicated the "better" selection?

Post your reasons or why you prefer PostgreSQL below...

Provided Answers: 12
    There are a lot of reasons:

It's really free. MySQL's GPL license is a problem for solution providers as the application that builds on top of MySQL needs to be GPL'ed as well.

Personally I like the PostgreSQL development approach better. First make sure data won't get corrupted. Then make it right. Then make it fast. That's probably the reason why (with old releases) PG hat a reputation of being slow compared to MySQL. MySQL's development approach seems to be "Make it fast, don't care about the rest"

And then there is a huge list of things that MySQL simply gets wrong (at least from my point of view - I'm sure a MySQL fan will see this differently) or misses some important (at least for me) features:

- No deferrable constraints
    - No check constraints
    - No transactional FK evaluation
    - No recursive queries
    - No table functions
    - No common table expressions
    - No windowing functions
    - No function based index
    - No partial index
    - No full text search on transactional tables
    - No MINUS or INTERSECT operator
    - No rename for columns (not sure about that one though)

What I think is broken in MySQL
    - Accepts "31st of Februar" as a valid date
    - Pretty dumb query optimizer with sub-selects
    - limits on sub-selects with UPDATEs
    - A lot of non-standard syntax (|| means OR, non-standard object quoting...)
    - Silently truncates data (at least in the default installation)

Having said that: MySQL isn't bad and improves with every release.
    I could not take the 4.x branch seriously. But the 5.x is a nice engine and if you need a fast non-transactional data storage where the data is not important (e.g. because it is replicated from another system) and your project can live with the GPL license then MySQL is not a bad choice.

Additionally it seems that MySQL's replication and clustering is easier to set up. But I hear different opinions on that (some say it simply doesn't work well, some say it's perfect) and as I never had the need to do something like that, I cannot really tell which one is really better. The third party solutions for PostgreSQL all seem to work well, but are quite tricky to setup as far as I can tell.

Mind you: PostgreSQL isn't perfect either. I think the whole Vacuum thing needs a lot improvement. That is probably the #1 problem when scaling a (write intensive) Postgres database

I work with many different databases, so I really appreciate Postgres' adherence to the SQL standard. MySQL is a pain because in many cases it doesn't follow the standards so its harder transition to. Also the knowledge you gain while working with MySQL will be less transferable to other databases.

Most of my work is intended for web clients so being able to easily read and write XML is a huge plus for me.

Provided Answers: 1

Thumbs up Machlura guadres

Quote Originally Posted by artacus72 View Post
    I work with many different databases, so I really appreciate Postgres' adherence to the SQL standard. MySQL is a pain because in many cases it doesn't follow the standards so its harder transition to. Also the knowledge you gain while working with MySQL will be less transferable to other databases.

Most of my work is intended for web clients so being able to easily read and write XML is a huge plus for me.
    That's very good info!

Thanks all.