Unanswered: Sql Server Agent failed to executed a scheduled bat file that contains sqlcmd command

Hi All:

I am currently using Windows 2003 R2, Standard Edition.
    I have Microsoft Sql Server 2005 Installed with the latest service pack which is sp3.
    I logged into the operating system as an administrator. The windows administrator id is "test2".
    I logged into the Microsoft Sql Server 2005 database using "Microsoft Sql Server Management Studio" as an "sa" which is database admin.
    I placed a bat file called "test1.bat" in the directory c:\test3, the file "test1.bat" contains the following content:

sqlcmd -b -e -Q "ALTER INDEX ALL ON [JOHNDATABASE].dbo.TABLE2 REBUILD"

In the dos-prompt, I can run the "test1.bat" batch file with no errors.
    It gives me the following output:
    c:\test3\sqlcmd -b -e -Q "ALTER INDEX ALL ON [JOHNDATABASE].dbo.TABLE2 REBUILD"
    ALTER INDEX ALL ON [JOHNDATABASE].dbo.TABLE2 REBUILD

Using "Sql Server Agent", I created a new job called "Scripts1".
    For the "General" link, I have the following values:
    Name:test2
    Owner:SA
    Category:Database Maintenance

For the step link, I have the following values:
    Step Name:test2
    Type:Operating system(CmdExec)
    Run As:SQL Agent Service Account
    Command:
    sqlcmd -b -e -Q "ALTER INDEX ALL ON [JOHNDATABASE].dbo.TABLE2 REBUILD"

When, I right click the job "test2" and click "Start Job at Step..", when I view History I get the following error:
    The job failed. The Job was invoked by user DOMAIN\test2. The last step to run was step 1[test2]
    Executed as user. LCA1-B-W-Q-WEB2\SYSTEM. The process could not be created for step 1 of job 0x4EC27C08D25E94(reason: The system cannot find the file specified). The step failed.

Any help or hint is greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Frustrated.

It works fine for me. I admit though I've never used the -e parameter. Since this is the only thing that could result in that error, what happens if you omit it?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm 99% sure that you want to use -E instead of -e for sqlcmd.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Sql Server Agent failed to executed a scheduled bat file that contains sqlcmd command

Hi All:

I think it is a security issue.
    On one of the Sql Server 2005, I can run the bat file through the "Sql Server Agent" and it works.
    I logged into "Sql Server Management Studio" as sa. In the "Sql Server Agent",under the "General link" using Owner:computer1\test1. I logged into the box remotely using "computer1\test1" as the id. The computer name is "computer1".

Another Sql Server 2005, under the "General link", I cannot find the owner "computer2\test2" under the "General" link for owner? I logged into "Sql Server Management Studio" as sa.
    I logged into the computer remotely "computer2\test2". The computer name is computer2. How can I added the "computer2\test2" under the "General" link for owner?

Any help or hint is greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Frustrated.

Is Computer2\Test2 added as a login in SQL under Security>Logins or is a group it's a member of in there? What happens if you try to login to Management Studio with Windows Authentication, when logged into the server as computer2\test2?