Thread: DB Question

DB Question

According to Codd's Tweleve rules which are considered as a basics of the relational database system, which one of the following three systems: Oracle, DB2 and SQL server is most applied and relational than the others?
    Please give me your opinion and why.

out on a limb
    don't care
    as long as the software is SQL compliant
    as long as the client/customer is good for the cash
    ..thats fine by me.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Toronto, Canada
    why does it matter?

if you work for an organization that has only one of those three databases, then that's the one you'll be using

if you work for an organization that has more than one of those three databases, choose whichever one you like

the only people who ask questions like "which database satisfies more of codd's 12 rules" are teachers, giving homework assignments | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

In front of the computer
    According to Gartner, Oracle serves the most users worldwide, followed by DB2, followed by Microsoft. So I guess that means that Oracle is applied more often than DB2, which is applied more often than Microsoft.

TCP numbers vary wildly, depending on configuration. Overall Microsoft tends to be the least expensive, followed by IBM, then by Oracle. There are multiple sources for TCP information, and since no two configurations produce exactly the same TCP costs it is very hard to produce comparable numbers.

Based on personal observation of developers and Database Administrators, I think that those numbers are roughly reversed. More developers seem to use Microsoft, followed by DB2, followed by Oracle.

Some of the difference can be attributed to "stale numbers" where systems that were created on a given platform years or decades ago may continue on that platform even when no new development has been done for a long time.

The short answer is that you can pick the order that suits you, then find statistics to back up your opinion!

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Along the shores of Lake Michigan
    As legacy systems are still in use, I think that tends to over-inflate the Oracle numbers. My last job, we had a legacy system on Sybase. Our CIO wanted them to migrate us to MS SQL. The third-party vendor said they would if we paid for the development of their migration tool ($50k +). Our CIO said, F*** off, we'll be your last supported Sybase customer, and based on contracts, we could've been. They developed the tool, we were their first migration to MS SQL and were their reference for other clients looking to do the same. Worked out well for us. While numbers can mean a lot, they alone are not a true indication as to the direction of application development. As Pat alluded to, find what works for you and your environment. Hell, it could be MySQL or even, **shudder**, Access.
    -- You can't be late until you show up.

i hope it is oracle which satisfies the 11 1/2 rules

Oracle 11.5 satisfies 11 1/2 rules, but we are looking forward to Oracle 11.6.9 which will satisfy nearly 11 7/10 rules. Woot!
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman "sqlblindman"