Unanswered: Moving the data from PostgreSQL 8.4 to 9.0

PostgreSQL 8.4 . was fine, for the past few months. But Today it starts telling me it fails to establish connection to 127.0.0.1.

I havent install anything recently, except the normal windows updates. The only thing i did was i am back in England.

MY Laptop is Windows 7 and i use it for holdem manager.

And it seems like the only way is to uninstall the whole PostgreSQL 8.4 and install the 9.0 instead.
    Here the problem occurs, all the hand history is gone... but luckily when i uninstall PostgreSQL 8.4 , i kept the PostgresSQL/8.4/data in my computer.
    So is there anyway, i could input the data back into the new PostgreSQL?
    Many thanks for your help.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by leehagen View Post
    PostgreSQL 8.4 . was fine, for the past few months. But Today it starts telling me it fails to establish connection to 127.0.0.1.
    Is the Postgres service starting at all?
    Did you see any error messages in the Postgres log file?
    Is there any message in the Windows Event log?

MY Laptop is Windows 7 and i use it for holdem manager.
    Whatever that holdem manager is...

And it seems like the only way is to uninstall the whole PostgreSQL 8.4 and install the 9.0 instead.
    Not true.
    If it was working before and then "suddenly" stopped working, you need to find out what happened and why Postgres didn't start anymore. Analyzing log files is the first step when finding the reason for a problem. Simply deleting everything will leave you no chance whatsoever to find out what went wrong.

Here the problem occurs, all the hand history is gone... but luckily when i uninstall PostgreSQL 8.4 , i kept the PostgresSQL/8.4/data in my computer.
    Bad idea.
    You cannot migrate to 9.0 unless you have a running 8.4.
    So now you'll never find out why Postgres stopped working in the first place and you cannot upgrade to 9.0 because you don't have a running 8.4

So is there anyway, i could input the data back into the new PostgreSQL?
    Many thanks for your help.
    1) Make a backup of your current data directory
    2) Make sure you have a backup of your data directory
    3) Install Postgres 8.4 again overwriting the current data directory (did you make sure you have a backup?)
    4) Shut down the Postgres service
    5) Make sure the Postgres service has stopped
    6) Check that Postgres is not running
    7) Copy the backup of your data directory to the original location (make sure Postgres is not running when you do that)
    8) Start the postgres service again

Moving the data from PostgreSQL 8.4 to 9.0

Thanks to you! i got solution to my problem....