Unanswered: Calculated Age Through DOB

earlier post I was inquiring about how to Setup Age as a calculated column. I would love to do that, just not sure how. Can you help with that please. This what I have so far, its in the properties of the Age field so when the users enter the DOB the Age automatically pops up

Code:
    =DateDiff("yyyy",[StudentDateofBirth],Date())+(Date()<DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month([StudentDateofBirth]),Day([StudentDateofBirth])))

Provided Answers: 59
    calculated column... I'm hoping thats a terminolgy issue, and that you are not storing the age

its a derived value
    when ever you need the age of a person then use datediff
    however I think you are complicating the second value
    just subtract the date of birth from the current date (use date() for preference over now())

if you have, say infants, you may want to do a datediff to find the number of months, then divide by \ 12 to find the number of years for adults. the \ is not a misprint, it forces VBA to use integer maths
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Calculating age is more complicated than that Mark.
    This function is too verbose but talks through the options:
    Access/VBA Tutorials - Calculate a persons age given the DOB
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

This works well. It can be off by one day on the DOB depending on leap year.

AGE: Int((Date()-[DOB])/365.25) (not sure why but starting with Access 2010 this may display as "######" in some queries but will display correctly if sorted.

If you need age at date of death(DOD), use the following

AgeDeceased: IIf(Left([Deceased],1)="Y",IIf([DOD],"Dec" & Int(([DOD]-[DOB])/365.25),"Deceased"),Int((Date()-[DOB])/365.25))

If deceased and DOD is known it will calculate the age on DOD prepended by "Dec". If DOD is not known, it will just insert "Deceased". If not deaceased it will just calculate age as above.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    calculated column... I'm hoping thats a terminolgy issue, and that you are not storing the age

its a derived value
    when ever you need the age of a person then use datediff
    however I think you are complicating the second value
    just subtract the date of birth from the current date (use date() for preference over now())

if you have, say infants, you may want to do a datediff to find the number of months, then divide by \ 12 to find the number of years for adults. the \ is not a misprint, it forces VBA to use integer maths
    sorry calcluated column is not correct please ignore that