Unanswered: To update record w/o changing date/time value

Hi

I want to update records in a table without affecting the datetime value.

But whenever I try to use the Update query the datetime field gets updated too.

Here:

Table name: StdM

Columns:
    StudID
    StudName
    Marks
    DateofJoin

My Query:
    Update StdM SET Marks=65 WHERE StudID=755

After executing the above query the datetime field i.e "DateofJoin" also gets updated to current date & time of the system when the query is executed.

My question: Is it possible to use Update command to update only marks without affecting the DateofJoin field value?

Provided Answers: 4
    There must be a trigger defined on that table that will automatically update that datetime column. Here you can find a solution to (temporary) disable triggers.

But make sure you know the implications of circumventing that trigger. It must have been created for a reason. Make sure you have the right to circumvent it, unless of course, you want to be free to do activities on the database of a stealthier nature, without leaving any traces...
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Thanks a lot Wim...

Yes there is a trigger set, whenever a record is modified the datetime field value gets updated to current date & time.

Yes by disabling the trigger I get what I wanted.

Is there any other way i.e. without disabling the trigger... override it (trigger) so that the datetime field doesn't get updated?

something like..

Update StdM SET Marks=65, DateofJoin=(Select or DATEADD...) WHERE StudID=755

??

Provided Answers: 2
    There is another solution:
    1. create a second trigger, that updates the DateOfJoin value to that from inserted table
    2. use sp_settriggerorder SP a set this trigger as 'Last'
    3. alter both triggers as presented here: Maximum stored procedure, function, trigger, or view nesting level exceeded (limit 32)
    Florin Aparaschivei
    DB2 9.7, 10.5 on Windows
    Iasi, Romania

Almost sounds like you're trying to circumvent business rules and/or security reporting capabilities - usually not a good idea if you want to keep your job. Having said that, determine the value of such a trigger with the database owner and if it's no longer needed, drop it.

Actually, because of student ID and student name - this smells of homework. If not, updating a student's marks for a class should be verboten unless being performed by the instructor - IMO.
    -- You can't be late until you show up.

Thanks aflorin27 & tosscrosby!

Well because wrong column i.e. 'DateofJoin' value was getting updated after executing an update command that's why I was asking.

Now I have added new field 'Updated_On' to remove such misconception...

Anyways

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by aflorin27 View Post
    There is another solution:
    1. create a second trigger, that updates the DateOfJoin value to that from inserted table
    2. use sp_settriggerorder SP a set this trigger as 'Last'
    3. alter both triggers as presented here: Maximum stored procedure, function, trigger, or view nesting level exceeded (limit 32)
    OK, I am trying to decide whether that is "Genious", or "Evil Genious".
    I'm leaning towards the second option, but kudos for creativity just the same. I can't recommend putting this kind of solution into any sort of production environment.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com