Unanswered: Database design query

Hi all

Ive have been given a 10 page paper from to convert into a db with a web input. Previously on a similar project someove very simply made a seperate table for each page of the paper from, linked with a user id.

Is this the best method I know how to normalise the data, Having counted through it looks like my table would have about 40 varchar fields, and about 40 fields being a combination of boolean or tiny int fields that would join with a lookup. there would also be about three other tables for repeating data entries.

Im having a discussion in the office that this is the wrong approach and it should be split into each page having its own table, regardless of what the data represents. If I did it in the normalised approach would I run into difficulty with the amount of fields (around 80)? and would performance be an issue?

Is this the best thing to do, and how would I know if I was getting near the maximum size for a table?

The application will page through and insert data at each stage rather than at the end.

Whats the best approach?

Quote Originally Posted by davebat View Post
    ... it should be split into each page having its own table, regardless of what the data represents.
    that approach has no basis in reality

Quote Originally Posted by davebat View Post
    If I did it in the normalised approach would I run into difficulty with the amount of fields (around 80)? and would performance be an issue?
    no, and no, respectively

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thanks for your speedy reply, Ill do it the normalised way.

PS, this is going to be spread over several pages, and when the user clicks "Next page" it will perform an update.

Is this still the best database design with this in mind?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions.

is ~what~ the best database design? normalized?

yes

you should use ~only~ normalized designs for all your databases, until you yourself know when you shouldn't
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL