Question Hi! Hoping for some advise.

I'm very new to the world of databases, and this is my first post here. I was wondering about the following situation. I'm not afraid of taking on a big project with limited initial information as I know I'm smart enough to hunt down the info I need. But in this instance I'm unsure where to start. I need to know how to design a database for 3 stores. The database should allow all stores to see every other stores inventory in as close to real time as possible, though hourly is acceptable. Possibly a corporate database with related store databases. What I'm looking for are good dummified readings on the type of database which is best, SQL, Oracle, can it be done in Access? And a general idea of what is required, a high level overview if you will. I hope I can find the info here, thanks!

Anything? If anyone has a starting point even that would be hugely appreciated!

the difference between one store and many stores is trivial (its another table and one more piece of data in the transactions table.
    so for now I'd suggest you concentrate how to desing your db for one store
    what issues do you think are critical
    what entities do you think you need
    what sort of business processes do you need to model
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thank you! Would you have a recommendation for a good dummy resource for queries?