Unanswered: Anyone care to test my database security?

For my exercise facility check-in tracking and financial system database.

Certainly no security is foolproof but my audience are mostly fitness instructors and not super serious hackers. I'm hoping that this is sufficient for the limited audience I'm working with.

I've implemented a demo version and full (with Activation) version in one.

Demo version is complete, but "Should" only allow 10 students to be entered.

To activate you will need to email me the key code on the opening screen. It's programmed the activation code will only work on your computer and even if you port the database it will not work on the new computer.

Note that this program is for a specific market.

Would like some feedback on this before sending out to the public. Please message me with your email and I'll send you my installation package (~2meg).

Access 2003 and up.

Note that it installs ijl15.dll in your system directory to handle jpegs

Thanks,
    Ron

Provided Answers: 14
    Maybe it's just me but I'm not sure that many people would be ready to let an unknown program install an unknown dll in their system. Moreover, commercial firms usually pay to have their sorftwares tested.
    Have a nice day!

Its just an access database, and I'm just a home based single guy trying to develop a program to sell and protect. I wasn't looking to get the whole thing tested, I thought there might be interest in how one secures a database for sale and its hackability

I mean the install was just for ease. I can just send the front and back ends.

No worries, I understand everyone's time is important, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Why do you need a dll to handle jpegs?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMT View Post
    Why do you need a dll to handle jpegs?

Simon
    I store the student's pictures in the database as a blob and this is part of what displays it again. Arg, that was so long ago that I added that. I'd have to look at all the code. Unless theres a simpler way to save and display pics in a database.

Provided Answers: 1
    The easiest way is to not store them in the database itself, but rather store them in a known location (like yourApplicationFolder/Images) and store paths to the images instead.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    The easiest way is to not store them in the database itself, but rather store them in a known location (like yourApplicationFolder/Images) and store paths to the images instead.
    You're probably right, but I made my database work with a webcam.

1. User takes the Student's picture with the webcam software. It stores its picture in a folder.
    2. User clicks back to the database and (with the students record pulled up) clicks the add picture.
    3. program pulls the first picture it finds in the folder and pulls it into the database, then clears the folder.

I think I might have worked a picture renaming and storing in many different ways, but I had to do this since the program needs to integrate with other iterations of the database (non network, via email) and they need to sync with each other. with the pics embedded in the student record it keeps organization simple

Believe me, there were some huge challenges I had to over comes with this, syncing databases that are adding people and records independently was a nightmare...but so worth it!

Provided Answers: 1
    Send it all as a zip. Problem solved.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Access 2007 is fine with jpegs or most image formats.

If the photograph file reference = Student reference if is easy to associate the image with the student. The GetImageDir is just a function when I need to change the Image Path. The Image file is a control on the Form or Report.

Code:
    Function GetPicture()

Dim FullPath As String

With CodeContextObject
            FullPath = GetImageDir & .[Image File]

If Dir([FullPath]) <> Empty Then
                .[ImageControl].Visible = True
                .[ImageControl].Picture = FullPath
            Else
                .[ImageControl].Visible = False
            End If
        End With