View Poll Results: Which database do you find most appealing?

1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oracle 10g/11g

0 0%
  • MS SQL 2005

1 100.00%
  • MySQL

0 0%

Choosing a DBMS: Oracle, MS SQL, or MySQL.

Hello everyone!

As you can probably tell, I am new here. I came here with two questions in mind.

The first question needs somewhat of an introduction. I am currently doing a report for a class, and in this report I am to weigh the pros and cons of three databases: MS SQL, Oracle, and MySQL. I am setting up a poll on this thread, and I hope that some of you can provide insight into which database you would choose, and why. This will report will ultimately decide on which of the 3 I will use for the back end of my website as well. Thanks!

My other question is much simpler. I apologize, as I know this question is a bit off topic, but does anyone know of any good database related journals/periodicals?

Thanks everyone!

Arizona, USA
    Well, the database chosen would ultimately depend upon more information, including (off the top of my head):
    • database type (OLTP/OLAP)
    • anticipated storage requirements
    • anticipated concurrency
    • anticipated data throughput/bandwidth
    • licensing costs
    • staff familiarity
    You've also left off several 'names' from your list (DB2, PostgreSQL) that probably should also be considered.
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

i think that
    you should try open source rdbms like
    Firebird and PostgreSQL
    these databases are so fast and have a lot of properties like the databases you add to the poll