Unanswered: Moving from SQL server 2005 to 2008

Hi,

Did any of you worked on the project from moving sql server 2005 to sql server 2008?. If yes, please let me know the difficulties you faced during this work. Also, any precautions to be taken before starting up gradation/moving.

Thank you.

Provided Answers: 54
    The move from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 has been positive for every migration that I've done. Each migration is different because the applications all have different requirments. SQL itself (the engine) doesn't require any significant changes, but the applications vary greatly from needing nothing to needing major overhaul depending on the application.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I'm totally new so I've only done this once, and in that particular case, it was pretty much seamless. That's only one case though for a relatively simple database.

One thing to be aware of is in the event of upgrading, and then for some reason wanting to downgrade. Like if you decide you don't like 2008, and want to go back to 2005, you can't simply just backup in 2008 and restore to 2005. It's not impossible to go back to 2005, but takes a little more effort than is desirable. Might be worth knowing: Downgrading SQL server 2008 to SQL Server 2005 - Stack Overflow

Can you please let me know steps/imp things to be taken care while upgrading from SQL server 2005 to 2008