Unanswered: postgres network access problem

Hi All
    I have created an application in c sharp with a postgres backend. Everything works fine if the app is running on the same box as postgres. When I try to run the app from another machine in the network it tells me that 'password authentication failed for user "dbuser" '.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm moving your question to the PostgreSQL Forum. It will probably get better answers there than in the New Users Forum!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

You'll need to configure the server's configuration (pg_hba.conf file) to to allow the server to support remote access from the machine/user where your client resides. Ref Chapter 19, Client based Authentication, in the user's manual.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

service won't start

Lou
    thank you for your response. I modified the pg_hba.conf file to include the client I am trying to connect from. I apparently also modified the postgresql.conf file as the server won't start. I have rebooted, changed the start up option to manual, rebooted again but the service won't start. I got a message at one point about the postgresql.conf file. Is there somewhere I can get a generic copy of the file? I don't remember changing this file although I did look at it. any suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Dave

service started

I uninstalled postgres and reinstalled. the service is running now.
    thanks

Glad that it's working.

In the future, if experiencing connection difficulties, start by verifying that you can connect from the server itself.

(Actually, start by backing up the configuration files!!!)

Edit pg_hba.conf to allow trusted access from 127.0.0.1. stop/restart the server. Attempt to connect from the server. If it doesn't work, then the server process probably isn't running. If it does, tighten up local access to md5, log off, and re-connect again.

After you can connect locally, move to attempt remote access. As with local access, try it with trusted access, then, shift to md5. (Don't leave remote access trusted fot long!)

Essentially, when troubleshooting, open the connection 'doorway' wide, then, pinch it off to the minimum access which allows the valid remote user to get at the data.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert