Question Unanswered: Query on ROLL FORWARD

Hi,

I have taken the online backup of a database in server 1 and when i restored it in server2 to a new database . it is created and it is in roll-forward pending.

when i try to roll-forward it is not happening, and throwing an error
    SQL04970N :

what can be done in this ?

is there any way to restore the db without rolling forward ?

Thanks!

You will need to roll-forward an online backup that is restored to at least the minimum recovery time. You will need the logs that were active during the backup and then restore to END OF BACKUP (which automatically determines the the minimum recovery time). If the logs active during the backup were included in the backup (the default for online backups in 9.5+) then you can use the LOGTARGET option during the restore to place the logs on a directory (make sure the directory is "clean" with no other files or logs) and then use the OVERFLOW LOG PATH option on the ROLLFORWARD command to specify the same path where the logs can retrieved by the ROLLFORWARD.
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 10-25-10 at 07:06.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

thanks for the reply...

Im using DB2 9.7, I take the backup and if i have log retain before backup then will it be able to create the DB without Rolling Forward ?

or while taking online backup if i include logs, then can i restore without rolling forward ?

there error is saying cannot reach the end of logs... so i tried to till some time, still having the same issue.

1. What do you think 9.5+ means?
    2. You can restore a offline backup with rolling forward, but an online backup requires a rollforward.
    3. If you include the logs with your backup (the default) you will have to rollforward using those logs as I explained above.
    4. If you got an error with rollforward to end of logs, does that mean you used "end of logs" option or "end of backup" option (as I suggested) when you did the rollforward.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390