Unanswered: REP-1814 object 'vertically' can never fit within M_Frame

According to this Orafaq
    HTML Code:
    http://www.oracle.com/webapps/online-help/reports/10.1.2/state?navSetId=_&navId=3&vtTopicFile=htmlhelp_rwbuild_hs/rwmsgs/1814.htm&vtTopicId=
    this is caused by the object 'vertically' extending beyond the page boundary. My problem is that I have no object named 'vertically'.

Assuming this refers to the Vert. Elast. property as an object (dumb, I know, but the only way I can make sense out of this) it must mean that M_Frame is being pushed beyond the page boundary by another object-but all objects outside M_Frame have Horiz. Elast. fixed. I don't understand how an object inside M_Frame can be pushing the frame that's supposed to fix the limits to which that object can expand. Help!
    Now back on Oracle. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Provided Answers: 4
    Well, you are right - it is not about an object named "vertically" (LOL!).

This sometimes drives me crazy, and - I have to admit - most of the times I caused it myself, not being careful enough when resizing and/or moving objects enclosed into frames. The safest way to fix it is to let Wizard create a default layout. It is ugly, I know, but - it will work properly. Then pay attention to "confine" and ... (shame on me, I can't remember its name now. On the toolbar, it is just right from the "confine" buttons) and move fields and frames around, set their sizes but - do it carefully, test frequently, SAVE frequently.

I rarely managed to reverse it once I got into that error.

The other button I think you mean is flex mode, which doesn't seem to solve the problem. I did manage to solve it by restricting the repeating frame's Vert Elast. to Fixed, but that screws up the layout. Interestingly it does more than that.

The underlying problem is that it keeps repeating the same records. When the frame's allowed to expand it reports the same records at least 3 times (i.e. each page of the report starts over) and triggers the error on page 4. But when the frame's fixed it reports the same records on page 2 as page 1, but then finishes the report correctly, putting the footnote text at the bottom of page 2 & the summary records on page 3.

Still has the repeating problem, but doesn't trigger the object 'vertically' problem. Right now I'm going to leave the frame fixed while I solve the repeating problem, then I'll go back to work on the object 'vertically' problem, assuming it still occurs.

Thanks.

Yes, it was the Flex mode button I was thinking of.

I'm sorry you still have problems (of a different kind, though), but that's just what I was talking about - too much pain to fix it again. I know that deleting the layout and creating it from scratch is kind of a "stupid" approach, but it would, at least, put everything to its place.

Ran into the same problem. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to use the Wizard to recreate the layout as the data comes from multiple queries. Maybe I'm just out of practice, but I can't figure out how to use the Wizard (or Query Builder) to create the appropriate queries, groups, and datalinks?

I'll give a try creating the report manually but expect I'll run into this problem again as it seems to occur only when I make manual changes to a report. Only thing I can think of is to just keep on trying.

Uh, no! Don't remove queries or data links between any of them!

What I meant to say was: go to Layout Editor and delete what's in there. Then run the wizard - accept everything suggested in all tabs. It should only create a new layout. At least, I hope so.

Um, yeah-I see it now. I got confused between the Report Wizard & the Layout Wizard. Thanks.