Unanswered: Tank Car Valve Change Tracking

Good morning,

I have a project I'm beginning to work on and I'm not even really sure how to begin. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the dilemma:

I have railroad tank cars which have 4 valves each. Each tank car is numbered in some way. i.e. PPGX300 (just an example)
    We'll call the valves on each car: V1, V2, V3, V4

So basically it would be PPGX300 V1 or V2 or V3, etc.

I need to keep historical data based on:

The date the valves are changed on each car, and how many trips there are in between. One valve could take 300 trips on a car, or 4 trips on a car before it is changed again.

Truthfully, I'm stumped on even where to begin. Of course, I want to start it right the first time round. Thanks!

Dendalee

Ok, I forgot to say that I also need to keep track of the brand of the valve used, and if there was a malfunction, what the problem was. Thanks!

well - you may still be in a single table situation really...

kind of depends on whether you want to add records with new data - so that you can look back at old data....or simply type over the current data (i.e. trip count)....lets say you need to keep track of the old valve serial number and NOT type over when replaced...then go to a 2 table approach...

2 tables where you have car/valve as the main table info...and then a ValveDetail table where you keep the running records of new info for that valve....

Hope this helps....