Question Unanswered: How to output results to multiple files limitted by row count

I'm trying to export a large number of records into .csv format for import into a 3rd party system. That in and of itself I can do. However, they have a max row count of 20,000 for reach file uploaded for import. We have a lot of many that just scrolling through them and highlighting/copying/pasting 20K records at a time would be unrealistic.

basically what I need is to query all records in table X and then output the results in 19,999 row chunks into individual files...

Is there a way to accomplish this with T-SQL?

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    There might be a way to do this, depending on the tables you're outputting. I would just export the tables to a single file then use a simple Perl/AWK/VB script to break that file into chunks that the import process can consume.

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

you could probably come up with a clever solution w/ bcp

article on bcp:
    Page 4 - An Introduction To The Bulk Copy Utility

post I made using ROW_NUMBER() OVER type syntax:

the second link will not get you exactly what you want, but could be 1 step in getting the ID, if you have a bigint identity type PK with gaps, just change 5000 to 19999 and write a script to give you the bcp commands (including a unique file name), run query and then put results into a batch file to do all of the work for you from a CMD prompt.

something like this...

CREATE TABLE #MyBounds
      batchId int identity(1,1) primary key
    , startBound bigint
    , endBound bigint
    ; WITH OrderedIds AS
        SELECT Id,
        ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY Id) AS 'RowNumber'
        FROM dbo.MyTable
    SELECT Id 
    FROM OrderedIds
    WHERE RowNumber % 19999 = 0;
    	U1.startBound = U2.endBound + 1
    	#MyBounds U1
    JOIN	#MyBounds U2
    	WHERE	U1.batchId = U2.batchId + 1
    -- do the first batch manually then below will give you all subsequent batches
    SELECT 'bcp.exe |SELECT * FROM dbo.MyTable WHERE Id between ' + cast(startBound as nvarchar(10)) + ' and ' + cast(endBound as nvarchar(10)) + '| queryout |c:\myData_'+CAST(batchId as nvarchar(10))+'.bin| –n –T'
    FROM #MyBounds WHERE startBound IS NOT NULL
    -- search and replace | w/ "
    -- save file as bcp_my_data.bat
    -- either manually add script for 1st batch to file, or run first batch manually as a test
    -- tweak bcp script so it outputs as CSV (not sure of parameters)
    -- run final batch script after testing produces what you want
    Last edited by Gagnon; 10-27-10 at 17:36.