Unanswered: Multiple rows from a SELECT statement?

I was under the impression a SELECT statement will fail if more than one row matches the selection criteria. Yet, I have someone who swears this works, although I have not seen any evidence to support this contention. It's a very simple SELECT, coming from a WebSphere SQL:

SELECT ACCT_NBR
    FROM HOFF.T09_ACCOUNTS
    WHERE CUST_ID = W_CUST_ID

I have no way of running this myself, except to code it in a COBOL program on the mainframe. I'm not sure that would prove anything.

Provided Answers: 11
    whenever there is more than 1 row - a cursor has to be declared and fetch has to be executed on cursor. otherwise a direct exec sql select into :hv ... can be used
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Please explain "direct exec sql select into :hv ". My DB2 programming skills are fairly basic. Does a dynamic SQL sent through DB2 connect return all rows of a result set at once?

Provided Answers: 54
    If you can run it via SPUFI, you can run it via DB2 Connect.

A query that returns a single row is fetched directly (no client side cursor is instantiated). If more than one row is returned, then the client instantiates a cursor and each row is fetched and returned. It appears to everything higher in the client's protocol stack like the entire result set is returned at once.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

So, no matter what, I need a cursor somewhere. That's what I figured. Thanks.

Provided Answers: 11
    have a look at application guide or cobol samples shipped how todo this
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Lightbulb Singleton Select VS Cursor

Quote Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
    I was under the impression a SELECT statement will fail if more than one row matches the selection criteria. Yet, I have someone who swears this works, although I have not seen any evidence to support this contention. It's a very simple SELECT, coming from a WebSphere SQL:

SELECT ACCT_NBR
    FROM HOFF.T09_ACCOUNTS

I have no way of running this myself, except to code it in a COBOL program on the mainframe. I'm not sure that would prove anything.
    If you need only one row, you can get it using singleton select:

Code:
    Exec SQL
     SELECT ACCT_NBR
     INTO :ws-acct-nbr:ws-acct-nbr-ind
     FROM HOFF.T09_ACCOUNTS
     Fetch first row only 
    End-Exec

if sqlcode < 0
    end-if
    Lenny

It will give -811

For a singleton select, if multiple rows are fetched for the condition in the where predicate, it will throw -811 and that's why we go for CURSOR in DB2 and process each fetched row.

Hope this helps!!

Exclamation Read before

Quote Originally Posted by tapas16880 View Post
    For a singleton select, if multiple rows are fetched for the condition in the where predicate, it will throw -811 and that's why we go for CURSOR in DB2 and process each fetched row.

Hope this helps!!
    Fetch first row only
    - prevents sqlcode = -811

Kara

Quote Originally Posted by DB2Plus View Post
    - prevents sqlcode = -811

Kara
    Now, that I recall!

Other option

From Performace point of view instead of "fetch first row only", people do not prefer writing a select query. Instead it is always recommended to do an "existence check".
    Select 1
    into :ws-xxxx
    from xxxxx
    where ??? = :?????

This always works out faster!!!

Thumbs down

From Performace point of view instead of "fetch first row only", people do not prefer writing a select query. Instead it is always recommended to do an "existence check".
    Select 1
    into :ws-xxxx
    from xxxxx
    where ??? = :?????

This always works out faster!!!
    I'm sorry, but you don't understand how DB2 works.

Even with yours "existence check" you can get -811.

Kara

Talking Thanks - U don't have to teach me DB2

I have never said that "existence check" doesn't give -811. Did I? What solely I meant was instead of Select * or singleton select, it is always recommended to use "Existence check" when you just need to know whether the value is present in the table or not. Off course at the end of the SQL, you need to have ---

EVALUATE SQLCODE
    WHEN +100
    ????????????????
    WHEN -811
    ??????????
    WHEN 0
    ?????????????
    WHEN OTHER
    ??????
    END-EVALUATE.

I have never said that "existence check" doesn't give -811. Did I? What solely I meant was instead of Select * or singleton select, it is always recommended to use "Existence check" when you just need to know whether the value is present in the table or not. Off course at the end of the SQL, you need to have ---

EVALUATE SQLCODE
    WHEN +100
    ????????????????
    WHEN -811
    ??????????
    WHEN 0
    ?????????????
    WHEN OTHER
    ??????
    END-EVALUATE.
    Could be better:

Code: