I never properly introduced myself

I signed up about a month ago, but have been reading topics a lot longer. I've worked with a number of databases on the mainframe and MS Access. But, I'm mainly a software developer. I work for a company that provides mainframe storage management tools. Very often, I'm asked to show how our tools work with DB2, so I have become moderately good at using DB2. But, I sure could learn a lot more; especially with respect using DB2 from java or C++, with DB2 Connect.

Hmmm... Wouldn't all caps and a space be appropriate then?

Anywho, welcome to DBForums!

I assUme (nope, that ain't a typo) that you are accustomed to using either BAL or REXX. If that is the case, the concepts are pretty similar for either Java or C++ although the mechanics are quite different.

The real problem is once you get the data back to your program, then what do you do with it??? Some of the Java tools give you an environment somewhat similar to CICS, and a few of the C++ GUI tools have similar aspects to CICS, but overall the interactive world is a lot different from the unit-record world!

Jump in, flounder around a bit, make yourself at home. Stop and visit The Yak Corral. Wander into the DB2 Forum. Enjoy!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Actually "BALR 14,0" would be more correct. But, it will be our little secret. I've been writing Assembler language sice before it was Assembler language. Back then it was SPS and Autocoder.

Never did Autocoder, but did small mountains of Assembler360 and later on BAL. I wrote more than a few quasi-insane macros. That was a few years ago.

Anywho, welcome to DBForums!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.