Unanswered: Repeating frame won't span pages

Sort of. When it expands onto the next page it starts over, listing the same records on the 2nd page as it listed on the 1st. Then it starts over again on the 3rd page after which it runs out of room & generates a REP-1814 error. When I change the Print On from All Pages to Default it stops repeating the records, but then it prints 4 1/2 records on page 1, 2 records on pages 2-4, and the last 5 1/2 records on page 5. (The half record is because there's a repeating frame inside the repeating frame. The 2nd repeating frame gets split across the page break.) The records contain 1-4 lines so the middle pages are far less than full.

This is a form letter so the 1st page contains the name, address, and letter text which leaves room for 8 records (with the sample data) & the middle pages have room for 16 records. If the records were being produced properly (i.e. page 2 starting where page 1 left off) then the signature block should appear on page 2. When Print On is set to Default it does appear on page 5.

So, it appears that the repeating frame is the problem. How do I get it to properly span pages, i.e. have page 2 pick up where page 1 leaves off?

At this point I'm not even certain which properties are the important ones. Other than Print On no properties seem to affect this.

Thanks.
    Now back on Oracle. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Provided Answers: 4
    Did you try with "Maximum records per page"? Should be set to 1 for the outmost frame (so that every letter goes to one page (that's what I understood)). Also, for the same frame, set the "Page protect" property to "Yes". The last one that might be useful is "Page break" (most probably "After"), set to "Yes".

The problem is that some letters won't fit on one page. I think I can illustrate the problem without violating the company's policy on revealing code (and if I do, then they probably won't catch me anyway-I think I'm the only programmer that visits here).

The user selects multiple courses about which they need information so the outermost repeating frame is R_SCHOOL. This, besides the name, address, and letter body, contains the repeating frame R_COURSES. This is the repeating frame that has the problem and it can (or should) be able to span multiple pages. This contains the course title, which can wrap to multiple lines, and the repeating frame R_CREDITS which contains the type & amount of credits. There can be multiple types & amounts of credits for each course (e.g. graduate, undergrad, vocational, specialty, etc). This frame should not span pages.

So, since a single letter can span multiple pages (when the problem occurred a user was requesting info on 16 courses from the same school which, if produced properly, would result in a 3-page letter. Plus an additional page in the report for the 2 courses from another school which were also selected.)

The current report uses multiple queries but I've also tried re-doing it with a single complex query, and it has the same problem-but by processing the queries outside the report I know that they're selecting the correct data. The problem is in the report, somewhere.

I'll try setting Page Break on R_SCHOOL and Page Protect on R_CREDITS, but don't really think either is the problem. I rather suspect that the problem is R_COURSES and neither of those settings is correct for that frame.

Thanks.

I think I got it. R_COURSES was set to print on All Pages (of the enclosing object, R_SCHOOL) and I changed it to 1st Page. Vert. Elast. of R_SCHOOL was also set to Fixed so I changed that to Variable. (I'd tried these before & they didn't work but don't know if I'd tried them together. Apparently it was the combination of settings that was causing the problem.)

Then I had to change R_CREDITS. Not sure if these were part of the 'repeating records' problem or not, but I had to turn on Page Protect to prevent it from spanning pages. While doing this I noticed that Print On was 1st Page so I changed that to All.

Finally, I had to set Max Records to 1 on R_SCHOOL. For some reason Page Break After didn't work on that but Max Records did. So now it's working. Thanks.