Thread: getin started

Unanswered: getin started

hi all,
    am new to oracle environment..i wanted to know which is the best interface to work with oracle..isqlplus/command prompt
    iwas trying to use cmd prompt but the results were not readable..can any1 help with the settings so as to make it readble..or any other tool..

some featurs needed like horizontal scrolling,no. of records displayed

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    isqlplus did not exist before V10
    isqlplus does not exist in V11.

I suggest you use something OTHER than isqlplus.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 4
    SQL*Plus should be your first choice. It is (kind of) ugly, but it will force you to actually learn what you are doing. The next step might be one of GUI tools (such as Oracle's (free) SQL Developer).

Sorry I've got to disagree with Littlefoot on this one.

I'd say learning from scratch with SQL Plus is a PITA unless you have a lot of time on your hands. Yes you can use an external editor but do you really want to HAVE TO specify column formats for a 10 column output when it's a throwaway query? (And if you don't format the output you won't be able to make sense of it.)

Yes I do find SQL Plus is very useful for certain tasks but I wouldn't recommend you learn that way. SQL Developer is there to make your life easier...download it and use it (carefully).

Dave
    Last edited by wobbly; 10-29-10 at 08:00.

Provided Answers: 4
    Nice. So we disagree (which is OK, why would we think the same?).

I've seen A LOT of people enjoying their GUI environment - but only its surface. They hardly know how to write a proper SELECT statement. All options hidden behind numerous menu items are way beyond their knowledge (at their current position in Oracle learning timescale). They don't know what those options do, whether they are harmless or not so - they don't touch anything.

Finally, what do they do? Use that GUI as an editor!

But, if you get a feeling under your fingers, actually being forced to learn and remember things (as there's nothing to click on in SQL*Plus), using a GUI makes your life a lot easier because now you know stuff. It would be stupid not to use it - but, as it appears, we disagree about the actual point.

I'm quite sure the OP will accept your suggestion rather than mine.

Ive been programming for 30 years and I agree with Littlefoot. a GUI is nice and I use them but there are things that you can only do using command line and if you don't know the actual commands there will be a time when the only thing you have available is sqlplus (listener is down) and you can't use the GUI. Learn both, but know the actual commands.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Provided Answers: 1
    I agree with beilstwh & Littlefoot - not quite 30 years' experience though! But 24 years' worth has taught me that however nice it is to be able to press buttons (buttons??? they didn't have GUI when I started out!) you need to know what's happening beneath the GUI to appreciate how best to get the answer you want. Sometimes pressing a button will work fine, other times you'll need the command line.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Provided Answers: 12
    I only agree partially. I think one should learn doing stuff manually (i.e on "SQL level), but an interface that is a bit more userfriendly than SQL*Plus is a big help. After all editing a long SQL statement with a single-line editor in SQL*Plus is pretty cumbersome. But SQL Developer is too "fancy" for a beginner

I'd recommend SQL*Plus for learning, but a GUI interface for production. JMO, FWIW.
    Now back on Oracle. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

SQL*PLUS is always good to start with. You can create your statements in different files and call it at the command prompt so that you have the history of the statements that you have tried. For more advanced and GUI interface TOAD is a good option, but it's not free.
    Thanks and Regards,

Praveen Pulikunnu