Unanswered: Mirroring from 2005 to 2008

I'm having issues configuring a mirror, the principal server is 2005 and the mirror instance is 2008, both are standard. I have configured mirroring before with both instances being 2005 with out problems. I run a full backup of the database on the principal server, backup type set to full, and restore it to the mirror server then do the same for the transaction log. I successfully created endpoints, I'm using the wizard for all of this and windows authentication. Basically, I go through the whole procedure and when I go to start the mirroring session I get the following: "database does not exist on the mirror server instance. You must restore a backup of the principal database on the mirror server instance before starting mirroring" This is very confusing because I have restored the database, I'm looking at it as I type and it's mocking me. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm nearly certain that you can't mirror between SQL 2005 and SQL 2008. If you can, I'm pretty sure that you'd have to use SQL 2008 for both the witness and the primary.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Supposedly it's possible from some of the Microsoft documentation. I was hoping someone might have done something similar. Thanks for the reply though.

anybody else? I'm still being mocked by the db.

Provided Answers: 11
    I can't say as I see this being possible. If the system fails over, the 2008 machine would have to send transaction logs to the 2005 machine, which it is not likely to be able to interpret. Especially since on recovery, the 2008 database would undergo an upgrade to the page headers, even if the compatibility level was set to 2005. Do you happen to have a link to that documentation handy? I would expect the witness is flexible as far as version goes, but not the primary and the mirror.

Sorry for the confusion, I should have worded my original post better. I am using the mirror from 2005 to 2008 as an upgrade method, once I failover the db from 2005 to 2008, I won't be attempting to switch back. You are correct, you can't ship anything from 2008 to 2005 but you can from 2005 to 2008. Let me find some of the microsoft docs.

OK. I managed to find this post about mirroring as an upgrade path. The only difference is that he is using all enterprise version, so it should work out, even with Standard. What OS is the SQL 2008 box running? If it is Windows 2008, could the firewall be running there?

Thanks for the replies, I am running windows server 2008. The windows firewall is not running, both instances of sql server are standard.

In your position, I would try restoring the database then transaction log on the SQL 2008 machine, then issue restore database [dbname] with recovery to see if it can recover properly. There is a (very) slim chance the database could be corrupt. I assume the compatibility level of the SQL 2005 database is set to 90?

The major problem (as I remember it, anyway) is that if anything goes wrong, you just get a generic "catchall" error. Since you have done multiple mirrors before, you have probably hit that as well.

Thanks for all your replies, I restored with non recovery with the full back up and the transaction log then restored with recovery without any problems.

Is the code page different from one server to the other? sp_helpsort should show what code page is used by both servers. Case sensitivity on the SQL 2008 server could account for a lot of problems.