Unanswered: Getting information about DB2 environment?

Our database environment is a mess, because we don't really have a DBA and we only use DB2 to test how our products work with it. I'm new to the company and need to do some DB2 work, so I'd like to see what we already have in place, with respect to tables, tablespaces, databases, etc. I recall you could do queries against DB2 system tables to get this information, but I have not figured out how. Can any of you DB2 wizards help out?

Provided Answers: 54
    If you have access to SPUFI, it will help you out quite a bit (the help is pretty good).

If you have access to a machine with the DB2 Connect GUI installed, that will help out even more. It gives you simple "point and click" access to most of the information that you are interested in seeing.

There is an inexpensive tool available from Database documentation tool - Elsasoft SqlSpec called SQL Spec that I highly recommend. The "trialware" version is free and will give you a good feel for what the tool can do for you. It does many things but in short it will build either a Windows CHM file or a full blown HTML based web site that gives you "point and click" with really convenient cross referencing features.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

If you're using DB2 LUW, you can query system catalog views such as syscat.tables, syscat.tablespaces, etc... Check this link for more info:
    IBM DB2 9.5 Information Center for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

You can use db2look to generate DDL for tablespaces, tables, indexes, etc...

Are you on Win or UNIX?
    --
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

My PCs are Windows Vista and Windows 7. I use DB2 on the mainframe.