Unanswered: Dates working out

Hi i have a table with a field called dates, which has dates from today’s date to 2005

Eg
    25/10/2010
    26/10/2010
    27/10/2010

What i would like to do is work out from today’s date how old the date above is by months. If i open it today it will give me a number of months from today’s date

eg
    if i open today

04/11/2010 - 25/10/2010 is 0

if i open the same database next month it will give me a different value

eg 04/12/2010 - 25/10/2010 = 1 month.

I want this to go back to 2005.

I tried doing this is a query but does not give an accurate figure because i was using days.

eg

iif(Dates()-[Date]<30,1,0)

This would not be accurate as not all months have 30 days. Does anyone have a solution in vba or query on how i can work this out.

Thank you

Provided Answers: 59
    try the datediff function
    ..however it only works on date values
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    As Jaded Developer has suggested, using

DateDiff("d",YourDateField,Date)

will give you the exact number of days between today and a date in the past. But anytime you're dealing with months and/or years, in this manner, you're going to have to make compromises!

DateDiff("d",YourDateField,Date)/30

will give you a close approximation of the number of months, but as you've said, not all months have 30 days! Including Leap Year, months can be 28, 29, 30 or 31 days long.

There's really no practical way doing this exactly, because there's no exact definition, in days, of what a month is.

For exactness in something like this, you have to go to the lowest common factor, which in this case is days, or you have to settle for an approximation, as I said.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007