Unanswered: Effects of Changing Versions

My company is about to move from Office 2003 to Office 2010, which will include a update to MS Access. But we are still a few months away.

What should I expect in the way of issues with the transition? Is there anything I need to do beforehand with anything that was developed with Access 2003? Or should it be a seamless move?

Just trying to be prepared.

Nevada, USA
    Provided Answers: 6
    I haven't used 2010 in a production app yet, but I tested a couple of 2000 apps on the beta version and they seemed to work fine. What you should do is get a copy now and test before the company wide roll-out happens. Management should be willing to spring for it, given the undeniable logic of "if you want to ensure a seamless transition, there's no substitute for testing". They're rolling the dice otherwise. No one can say with authority that your applications will run correctly, as nobody knows exactly what's in them.

Chicago, IL
    We have a fairly wide range of functionality in our Access databases. Lots of custom code that prints reports to PDFs, works with files, transfers Access object between databases, etc. We recently upgraded 2 out of 3 of our machines from Access XP to 2010. We have not experienced any Access related issues. On top of it 2010 and 2002 coexist (on separate systems).

I remember when we converted from 97 to 2000. It was a 6 month project making changes to our databases. But this is FAR easier.

I would definitely plan for some obstacles but I wouldn't imagine you would need more than few days to work through any issues.

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    Allen Browne has some excellent articles on upgrading to versions 2007/2010. Have a look here

Microsoft Access tips: Converting to Access 2007 or 2010

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007