Unanswered: Which version of Access should I upgrade to, if at all?

Currently my company uses Access 97. There has never been any reason to use anything else and I have always been happy with it. We have around 12 users and for our main database the tables are stored in a single networked location and each user has an interface of forms, queries etc that I keep up to date using replication.

However, I am now being pressured from on high to use a newer version of Access. Do I need to? Will it really be more helpful? Will it be more secure? Is the conversion a nightmare? (I use a LOT of code.)

Anyone's thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks!

Do I need to?
    ** Certainly at some point the OS of the machines one buys will eventually not support this older version. Not sure if that point is Windows7 or not....but it comes at some point. Unless you plan to keep old PCs running...

Will it really be more helpful?
    ** There are new features in every new version - but that doesn't mean you need or will use those new features. But the reality is - organizations do need/want to remain current in terms of their IT environment and so upgrading is part of any professional's IT realm, whether or not there is any need in terms of functionality.

Will it be more secure?
    ** There is encrypted files now that I don't think were available in 97; but in the newest .accdb format User Level Security is removed. So probably security is not the driving rationale for the upgrade.

Is the conversion a nightmare? (I use a LOT of code.)
    ** Probably - but nightmare is a relative term; and also this is the reason organizations upgrade in a more timely manner as that little steps are less of a nightmare than big steps. I would seriously procure a copy of Access2003 and then Access2010. I would first convert to Access2003. Then to 2010 in the .mdb format. Whether or not you go to 2010.accdb depends on whether you are going to need features uniquely available in that format. Test your product at each conversion and resolve any issues that come along. 2010 is a radically different GUI and you will require a reference book / textbook.

Hope this helps.
    www CahabaData com

I would nearly agree however Access 2010 does not go all the way with full web capability, MS ran out of time. This just indicates the release was premature and a release with full web capability will follow! Yawn! I would even bother with Access 2003 and consider Access 2007 on the basis that this is a major change in both appeareance and functionality. I upgraded from Access 1997 to Access 2007 and although there were a number of issues that took time to rectify it was entirely worthwhile.

outside the rim
    If you are going to go through the trouble of making an upgrade/change, then go for the newest (stable and complete) version, which is probably 2007 as your best bet.

As you may know, the move from 2.0 was a huge change. 97 to 2000 was fairly smooth and enabled a LOT of improvements but did not have backwards compatibility (once in 2000, stuck in 2000).

Smooth for 2000 to 2003 (in fact, I ran 2003 in 2000 compatibility mode and consider that the "prime age" of Access). 2007 was painful for the same reason every other Office 2007 change sucked - the application interface is totally different - no more database window, etc. Basic DB structure and code, however, was mostly unchanged. It was like relearning how to use Access. On a side note, I like the 2010 interface a lot better than 2007, but still like 2003 the best.

From a dev perspective, I'm currently operating between 2007 and 2010 with out too much trouble. I've even resurrected some code from 97 projects and it dropped in nearly seamlessly (even some ugly API wrappers and calls worked without edit). VBA hasn't changed much in the last decade and just about everything that used to work still works. There are a couple of watch-outs, like explicitly calling out your DAO objects, and these can be found through google searches.

On a side note, if you are integrating with other Office Apps (notably using Excel to connect to Access) there are a lot of things that won't work with 2007 or newer, especially in code. Easy to solve, though - keep the back end 2003 or use an alternate to Access for the data storage.

Hope this helps. Fear not - it'll be a good change.
    have fun!

Todd S.
    click to email

Independent Development Consultant
    Biz db & reports - SQL, Access, Crystal, Seradex and more
    Small, custom, unique programs - Office, VBA, .NET

Favorite message from Windows:
    There was an error displaying the previous error message

Sadly, there was no error number to look up ...

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    Allen Browne has some excellent articles on converting from 97 to 2000 and on thru 2007/2010. Go here

Microsoft Access help, tutorials, examples

and scroll almost to the bottom, to the "Upgrade" section.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks very much everyone. That was all very helpful.