Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: User Display

Unanswered: User Display

I'm slowly rounding the corner on finishing up my database before I go on maternity leave shortly.

A few things I need help with if anyone's available to do so.

1. How do I set up my main switchboard form so that it is the first form users see when they open the db?

2. How do I change the size of the window that my forms/reports/switchboard pages appear in so that users only see a portion of the window?

3. What sort of security measures would you suggest using so that users cannot alter the design of my database?

4. How do I set up my print form button so that only a certain portion of the form gets printed, (as opposed to all those extra pages that are unnecessary to print)?

Provided Answers: 6
    1) Presuming you have 2007 or 2010, Office Button/Access Options/Current Database/Display Form

2) If I understand correctly, right under that is Document Window Options

3) I always distribute an MDE/ACCDE to users. It hides code and prevents design changes to forms and reports. I also force them into runtime mode with the command switch.

4) Most of us would recommend printing reports. You have a lot more control over everything that way. Forms are meant to interact with the user; they don't really print well.
    Paul

I would add:

I don't use switchboards at all but created a Menu using Forms. I could never see the point of a Switchboard particularly after creating so many forms why not have a consistent approach with the Formware.

You should create reports and these can Form driven / a partcular record or Detail Summary Reports. It is this information that is important as many system neglect the need for management information or analysis.

Simon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Menu.gif  

Hi Simon,

Actually that's what I'd like to do. I have created a form that I want to be the main form users see when they open the database. I just don't know how to do it.

In the Quick Access ToolBar > Current Database you will see Display Form and in there I put the name of the Startup Form.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by akanick View Post
    I have created a form that I want to be the main form users see when they open the database. I just don't know how to do it.
    Did you not see my #1?
    Paul

I am using Microsoft Access 2003.

Then Tools/Startup/Display Form
    Paul

Okay just got that figured out...thanks, Paul.

Do you know anything about how to change the size of the window that is displayed?

I'm not clear on what you mean. I thought it was related to a new 2007 feature originally. Are you talking about the Access window itself or the size of the form within that window?
    Paul

Okay, nevermind...I figured that one out now too.

Next on my list...how do I distribute MDE/ACCDE to my users? I would only need to distribute one copy to the network.

Regarding my number 4 question...I am going to try to come up with a report that will offer a better print job than my form. Thanks for the advice!

If you have multiple users, the application should be split (which you may have done) and each user should have a copy of the front end. Here's more info on that plus a link to a free tool to automate updates:

Splitting your Microsoft Access MDB into a front end and back end

I wrote my own tool to automate the updates, others have written batch files to do it.
    Paul

Do you recommend me doing this even though my users all use a shared central location? I read over splitting and it looks pretty complex. I'm afraid I'll end up messing up all my hard work, lol.

Can't I just back it up on my personal hard drive then put a copy of my db on the public?

All I can say is that I wouldn't do it. I did it with the first database I created (which technically was split since I used SQL Server for the data tables), and the front end corrupted several times until I realized the error of my ways and put the front end on each PC. Never had a problem since. How are you going to handle the data when you need to make changes? You'll have a copy on your hard drive you're making changes to, but the data is all on the copy on the server.

Splitting it seems more complex than it really is. I'd make a copy of your db and then give it a whirl. If it goes horribly wrong, you still have the original. Here's another link, which links to others:

AMicrosoft Access tips: Split your MDB file into data and application
    Paul

I agree with Paul the you really should, I think MUST, split the database. I actually split every database form the start.

Here is more additional information about:

Splitting your Access database into application and data
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11