Provided Answers: 1

Question Unanswered: How Can I Have Users Insert Data

I have successfully installed and have been using PostgreSQL at my small office environment. It works perfect however I am the administrator and have been creating databases & tables as I need and inserting my own data but I would like to get a "real world" test by having multiple users inserting and altering schema's in PostgreSQL. The reason I'. asking for help here is because I'm trying to find some kind of application or PHP page that allows basic office users to use & interact with the back end database. I don't write and PHP pages / software but was hoping there's something I can install and or use online that will allow regular users to interact with the PostgreSQL database. Obviously regular users don't typically know how to use SQL commands to use PostgreSQL.

Do you all have any recommendations that I can install or have the users connect to PostgreSQL and insert data via some kind of GUI?

I came across this app a while ago. Its not free but it does have a 30 day trial, which was more than sufficient time for my testing. I didnt use it a whole lot but it seemed to be able to do everything you are looking for (insert, update, view) etc...

PostgreSQL GUI Tool for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux

Hope this helps!

Provided Answers: 1
    Very cool. I am trying that out now. I was looking for an already written PHP page I can load on my web server but this is nice too.

Check out the PostgreSQL PHP Generator.

I've used the free version. It creates PHP script to view/edit data in selected tables. For master-detail table display/edits, as well as other features, you would need to go with their professional version. (It's very reasonable for a single developer license, BTW)

Or, if the users already have Access installed on their computers, use IT as a front-end - it's easy to set up an ODBC connection to pg.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Easiest is to use Access if you own it, or OpenOffice.org Base if you don't. It should be pretty short work for you to create forms for them.

Base

If you are feeling more ambitious you could try making your own front end using a framework like Dabo

About the Dabo Application Framework