Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8

    Unanswered: Access and Croatian character set

    My site allows user toupload details to Access 2000 db.

    Dut to nature of the site Croatian characters are sometimes uploaded. These are not recognised and are entered into the cells as example: Croatian keyboard character Č getts entered as #268

    I am guessing that this is because those characters are not available in access 2000.

    Does anyone know how I can get over this, I would like to keep Access as the database.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4
    Hi,
    what is the format of the fields you have applied? You should have formated it as nvarchar. Access 2000 supports both, Serbian Cirillyc and Croatian Latin character sets just by default.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for your reply daredavil.

    I checked and the fields had no formatting applied.

    There was no options available in the format drop down box in design view, so I typed in nvarchar. Access changed this to n"var"ch"ar" so i guess it knew what I wanted !!

    Anyway I will ftp the changed .mdb this evening and see it now accepts the characters via the connection, and let you know.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4
    Sorry, I have made mistake...Nvarchar belongs to MS SQL data type but, regardless, if you format it as "text", it should work on the same way as I said in previous message. Further on, did you try to directly type special Croatian letters e.g., Č,Ć.,Đ and into table(s) in order to see the outcome. If you get correct recording it means that your issue is not related to the Access? Check it...Or, try to enter special characters via Access form and to see outcome...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8
    I can enter the character Č directly int the cell without problem. This only happens when the .mdb is on the server and it is accessed via a connection string.

    I have used ole db and OCDB connections with the same result,
    Last edited by jacey100; 11-09-10 at 12:37.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4
    hi,
    your issue is the most probably related to the UTF-8 character set not setup (of course, if you face the same problem with all special Croatian chars i.e., ČĆĐ). Namely, in the interface layer that lies between user and the DB itself, e.g., Ruby or PHP or Iron Speed application or etc...there is place to setup UTF -8 as the default character set. It could be e.g., PHP.ini file or Apache etc...Google little bit around these things....Personally, for your info, I am currently with the Iron Speed on the platform of Client-Server tipe (DB is MS SQL Server but could be Access equally, MySQL ...), DB is on the server powered by Windows 2003, everything related to the special Croatian or Serbian Cyrillic characters works perfectly well. (Special Cyrillic letters are: Č=Ч,Ć=Ћ,=Ш,Đ=Ђ,=Ж respectively and for your info if needed)
    bye

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8
    Thank you so much for you time and advice, I will dig around in the interface....and post back here when resolved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •