Unanswered: Large qty Emails from Access

I have a large database (several hundred people) and I need to send an annual confirmation of the information that is in the db. In the past, we produced a printed report (several hundred pages) that was split, stuffed in envelopes and mailed (costly). The report was 1 page each, fairly complex with fields mixed with boilerplate, and a sub-report included on the page.

I now have an eMail address for most people in their person record. I'll will still use the printed report for those with no eMail, but want to automate an eMail function to send the others their info. The info needs to be in an editable form so they can mark up corrections and hit reply to send it back.

Since I've not done automated eMail before, I've been trying to read up on it, both in this forum and elsewhere. It seems there are two main ways, DoCmd.SendObject and CDO. There also seems to be two options for the data, entrained as body text, and as an attachment.
    Several of you have experience in eMailing and I'd appreciate any advice on what methods make the best sense. Also if anyone has done this and wants to share their code, I'll be glad to plagiarize. ;-}
    Pete Townsend
    PGT

What I've found is that trying to make Access into an email machine is kind of a round peg in a square slot situation.

What does work great, is simple and robust - is to use Access to provide the email addresses (i.e. a query).

The simply highlight that query column with the email addresses and just do a copy/paste into the To or BCC field of your normal email system - outlook, lotus , whatever...

consider this approach.
    www CahabaData com

Provided Answers: 6
    I've never had a problem getting the emails out, either in the body or as an attachment. I don't know about the "editable and send back bit" though. Of course you don't have that with printed reports now. I know 2007 added some kind of email form that might do this, but I have not tried it. This and the associated links should get you going with the other parts:

Emailing a different report to each recipient
    Paul

NTC, the square peg approach would be worse, IMHO, than the paper, stuff, mail approach now being used because each report is tailored with the recipients info.

pbaldy,
    Thanks, I've looked at granite and it has a lot of good info. I was hoping for a definitive this is better than that from someone but I know that is wishful thinking. I'm currently leaning to the entrained-in-body approach. Creating 200-300 files, one for each person, keeping track of them for attaching, and then deleting them, seems to make the attachment method less desirable. However, I'm not sure I understand the entire process for doing attachments to emails on a dynamic basis.
    The first and more important question, is what eMail method to use: DoCmd.SendObject or CDO
    Pete
    PGT

What email program will you be using?

One key difference between them is that SendObject will put the items in your sent items; CDO will not (unless I've missed a setting somewhere). I get around that by copying myself if I want to see evidence of it going out. Conversely, CDO will go around the Outlook security warnings, SendObject won't.
    Paul

Oh, and SendObject will send an attachment without you having to create and save it anywhere. Other methods require the attachment be created first.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Townsend View Post
    The first and more important question, is what eMail method to use: DoCmd.SendObject or CDO
    Pete
    Pete,

I usually worry about what method to use to send until the end. Use whatever method works best for how you will handle everything else.

Since you will probably need to create the email body to have the data so that it can be updated and sent back, then you will probably need to use Outlook Automation of CDO/SMTP.

Note: I almost never use the SendObject method. I prefer to use SMTP/CDO.

You might want to look into this: Total Access Emailer

You might also need to throttle the sending of emails. You will need to check with your ISP or mail server provider to see if there limit per hour on emails sent.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

HiTechCoach,
    Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about the ISP x/hr issues. I'll make a few fone calls.
    Pete
    PGT

Pete,

You're welcome.

I have had issues with this in hte past with some ISPs and/or web hosting services.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11