Unanswered: Best way to set up SQL Server?

I am sure this is somewhere on the forums, but I couldn't find it.

I am currently upgrading my SQL Server box. I will be running SQL Profiler over the next couple weeks to see if I should focus on increasing RAM, PROCESSOR, or IO.

But, I have heard there are different things that are good to do at setup. Such as putting a log file on its own disk. So I the server is set up in a RAID format, should their be at least 1 hard drive not in RAID to guarantee that the log file can have it's own spindle? I am a new at this, so any information is helpful. Thanks.

A separate spindle for logs is ideal but you also have to look at the data. Do you break that into multiple files spread accross their own spindles? Tempdb on it's own spindle as well. These are for a more ideal install. I like RAID 10 because the disks are hot-swappable but it's additional resources (meaning $$) on the server. And run profiler from another machine pointing to the one you want to profile. It's kind-of an "it depends" questiion....What resources do you have to work with?
    -- You can't be late until you show up.

Well right now I am working on determining what setup I want for the new server. But it is going to be a brand new server. I am guessing it will end up being a Blade Server with SAN Storage, but could possibly end up being a stand alone server. Would it be better to spread the data over multiple files? Or would it even matter if it is set up for RAID 10? Should I put the OS and LOG files on one spindle, and tempDB on another? I'd be more than willing to read up on this if someone could direct me to a good resource. Are there any settings on SQL Server I should be aware of for setting up? This is my first time setting up SQL Server.

hi folks
    im a newbie in this
    can someone give me turtorial how 2 set up a database
    does it works with wordpres?
    thx janet

Awesome. That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot tosscrosby. The Brent Ozar article is good, still working through it. I haven't gotten to the second link yet.