Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Database application generator for DB2

Hi all,
    I am the author of an open source PHP software, http://www.dadabik.org/, which allows to create CRUD database front-end/application without coding.
    I would like to extend the support to DB2 (at the moment MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle and MS SQL server are supported) but I'm wondering if a similar and mature software already exists for DB2 (maybe directly from IBM), because in that case I would concentrate my efforts on other DBMSs.
    Can you give me any information about?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Eugenio

For example is this one:
    http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/...n&S_CMP=ibm_im
    similar to DaDaBIK or allows just the database administration?

DataStudio - in addition to administration , also helps in quick generation of SQL queries and explain them, create stored proces/functions, develop java apps(as it is based on eclipse framework) etc.

Dadabik seems to have a different utility.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

After looking at your demo, I don't think IBM has anything like that. Even if they did, you have open source which could be customized by someone for other functions besides CRUD. If you need any help with DB2, feel free to ask.

I also think it would be good to generate an app that used stored procedures for all I/O, but I know that might be too much customization since there is not as much standardization across DBMS products compared to regular insert, update, delete, and select.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks for the answers.
    I think I will download the free version of DB2 and work on DB2 support (asking for help here if needed).
    About the use of stored procedure: yes I think at the moment needs too much work.

Best,

Eugenio

Hi Eugenio,
    I am just wondering if there is any progress on DaDaBik PHP generator working on DB2 database.
    Regards
    Aali

Hi,
    unfortunately no. Maybe I am wrong but I didn't see so much interest in a DB2 porting so I preferred to focus on MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite.
    I think the porting wouldn't be so difficult though.

Quote Originally Posted by eugenio View Post
    Hi,
    unfortunately no. Maybe I am wrong but I didn't see so much interest in a DB2 porting so I preferred to focus on MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite.
    I think the porting wouldn't be so difficult though.
    One advantage of a DB2 version is that customers are accustomed to paying a lot of money for the DB2 database software, and might be more likely to pay for your tool, as compared to the open source databases.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

You are right, I will think about that.

Anyway, if anybody here is interested in contract me for the porting, send me an email.

Hi Eugenio,

DB2 is gaining lot of popularity and industry is now considering shifting away from expensive database vendors with complicated licensing agreements to stable, mature and more economical IBM DB2.
    With recent DB2 v10 release, DB2 is now 100% compatible to PLSQL ..means that we can now run PLSQL applications directly on IBM DB2 without making any changes.
    I would strongly recommend and support for making DaDaBik PHP generator compatible with DB2 database. and I guess the timing is very right as demand will increase in coming months/years.

Best Wishes
    Aali

Thanks Aali, I'll take your suggestion in consideration!

I'm curious tu understand how much work would be needed for the porting so I ask you a basic question before wasting too much time: is setting up a PHP DB2 express dev environment on Mac OS a trivial task? Does the package comes with an administration/query tool?
    Thanks.

I am not sure of MAC but I presume the setup would be same/similar to Windows. I tried this in past and it worked ..
    Please check Connect to IBM DB2 on PHP via ODBC

Does the package comes with an administration/query tool?
    I guess you meant does DB2 comes with administration/query tool.
    The download of DB2 Express C includes command window ( command line interface (CLP) ) were we can enter queries against database.
    IBM Data Studio is GUI interface to Database is a independent product that can be downloaded separately.

I hope this helps
    Regards
    Aali

Thanks aali, as far as I read the PDO ODBC driver is not the right choice to create php db2 applications now

IBM DB2 9.5 Information Center for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

I agree.
    Have you tried ibm_db2 and pdo_ibm ?
    IBM DB2 9.5 Information Center for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    I am not actively into php development but casually bumped into it and had a quick test with ODBC. I may have to do some work in near future , I will avoid ODBC connection and go with the current standards recommendation by IBM.