Unanswered: DB2 connect gateway question

Hi All,

I am totally new to installing and configuring DB2 connect gateway. We have an existing gateway server (setup by somebody else, don't have access to it) which has DB2 v8 32-bit installed talking to a host server z/OS DB2 v8.

The existing gateway server is going away, so I have been given the task to set up a new db2 connect server. The windows server i have been given is a Windows 2008 64-bit server and the software license we have is for DB2 connect 9.7 32-bit. My question is if i install this 32-bit connect software on the 64-bit windows, would it work? and can the 9.7 connect software talk to a host server that has Db2 v8 installed?

Would greatly appreciate any help.

Anybody????

Provided Answers: 5
    If I remember correctly, with V9.? on the client you could do away with the gateway server. You still need the license for connect, but not a physical machine. Your clients can directly connect to the mainframe DB2 subsystem. Otherwise, you should be able to do as you are asking with no issues.
    Dave

Thanks Dave,

I want to know if DB2 Connect 9.7 64-bit has backward compatability with DB2 v8 on z/OS? or should I be choosing a DB2 connect 9.1?

I see that from DB2 9.5 onwards, IBM packages the DB2 Connect with IBM Data Studio . Not sure if the DB2 Connect 9.7 is available separately.

Thanks

DB2 Connect 9.7 should work with DB2 z/OS v8. Also the License does not differ between 32- and 64-Bit, so i recommend to use 64-Bit Software.

Thanks.

I have the output of the "db2 list node directory" and "db2 list database directory" of the old connect gateway server, but i don't see the z/OS databases cataloged. Should i be looking somewhere else?

I think "db2 list dcs directory" would give me the desired results. Right?

Even the "list dcs directory" doesn't show anything.

Hi,

you have an alibi-Connect Gateway. Or maybe the wrong instance...

Does the Host-Admins see any Connections from this Server? Is the Application using JDBC? Do they Connect directly to the Mainframe?

Cheers
    nvk

this is such a valueable link: DB2 Version 8 Connectivity Cheat Sheet for this kind of issues....

Quote Originally Posted by nvk@vhv View Post
    Hi,

you have an alibi-Connect Gateway. Or maybe the wrong instance...

Does the Host-Admins see any Connections from this Server? Is the Application using JDBC? Do they Connect directly to the Mainframe?

Cheers
    nvk
    I have been told this is the connect gateway server and i am trying to find out how the databases were cataloged the first time. Clients are using the this server (Db2 connect) to connect to the z/OS enviornment.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_te_z View Post
    this is such a valueable link: DB2 Version 8 Connectivity Cheat Sheet for this kind of issues....
    Thanks dr_te_z, i have already looked at that article. I am trying to find out how the databases were cataloged on the existing connect gateway server the first time, so i can mimic that or use the information for configuring the new server.

You can use the export configuration tool provided by DB2 and import it into a new client using the import configuration tool (see the Command Reference for details). Or you can submit the following commands to see the existing configuration:

db2 list node directory
    db2 list db directory
    db2 list dcs directory (or z/OS or iSeries connections only).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    You can use the export configuration tool provided by DB2 and import it into a new client using the import configuration tool (see the Command Reference for details). Or you can submit the following commands to see the existing configuration:

db2 list node directory
    db2 list db directory
    db2 list dcs directory (or z/OS or iSeries connections only).
    That's what he did. All Commands returned empty lists. So, there's maybe another instance or clients connect directly to the Mainframe or ...