Unanswered: Insufficient disc space

Hi! As a dentist having all my xray pictures in what I suppose is a paradox db I ran to this problem yesterday

"Insufficien disc space"
    "Table vq.2500.mb"

There are som hundred Gb left on disc.

Talking to support they told that there is maximum table size 2.1 Gb for a table. Having around 30 tables that keep from 600Mb to 2.0 Gb

My question is! Is there a way to get around this problem?

My db is located on a Windows W2003 server.

//Peter Marions

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    go back to the authors of the software and suggest they provide a workaround (storing the URL to the image in the db is far smarter than storing the image itself)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Arizona, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    go back to the authors of the software and suggest they provide a workaround (storing the URL to the image in the db is far smarter than storing the image itself)
    PARTICULARLY when the database is so limited in its file size restrictions...

Granted, there are pros and cons to each approach, but unless security concerns have a very high weighting, I agree with healdem; the pros of storing the files on the disk, and their path in the database, outweigh the cons.
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

storing images in a paradox blob field can result in total loss of your images, if anything goes wrong.. most long-term paradox developers recommend storing the link in a field, and keeping the real image elsewhere.. more work, more files, but much safer..
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

New Zealand
    Provided Answers: 5
    I have been doing database for a long time
    What I have learnt store the path@filename in the field and the image on the disk database will be heaps heaps smaller
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008

Red face You've hit the maximum file size for Paradox

Paradox will only hold a maximum of hex 80000000 bytes in a table. The maximum number of blocks in a Paradox table is hex FFFF (65536 or 64K), the maximum block size is hex 8000 (32768 or 32k).
    So 64k x 32k = 2,147,483,648 bytes which equals your 2.1GB.

In effect you've hit a limit that was fairly common in the late 90's when Windows 95/NT4 were the latest and greatest from MicroSoft.

It makes little difference that the tables reside on a Windows 2008 server, the issue is that Paradox was written for an earlier edition of MicroSoft NT technology.

You need to either split out your data to multiple tables or use a different application.

Good luck