Unanswered: how to if runstats is needed

Hi friends,

I have a question.

How to I will determinate the tables need runstats? could I get a view? for example:

I get tables that need reorg like this:

call sysproc.reorgchk_tb_stats('T','ALL');

Provided Answers: 5
    All tables need runstats periodically. This updates the statistics so that your reorgchk will actually know what has to be reorged. If you do not update the stats, then your reorgchk finds nothing to reorg. As for how often, to run runstats it is up to you. There are some tables that will never(rarely) change, so runstats run on them will not tell you anything new. Some tables have complete overhauls on the data daily, others still have just a normal workload and could be done weekly/monthly. One of the things I have always advised is if you run runstats, then be prepared to reorg whatever is in need of a reorg, as the optimizer is going to decide on access paths due to the stats, so if the table is in bad shape when you run runstats, then you may get a sub-optimal access path until you run reorgs.

Dave Nance
    Last edited by dav1mo; 11-12-10 at 16:12.

talk to your ETL team, talk to your business unit. Find out how tables are utilized and how they are changed and fly from there.

There are two distinct way people do them. 1. Do all tables all the time. 2 Do some tables, some times. First as you imagine is easier to do, but does not mean better.
    --
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar8000 View Post
    talk to your ETL team, talk to your business unit. Find out how tables are utilized and how they are changed and fly from there.

There are two distinct way people do them. 1. Do all tables all the time. 2 Do some tables, some times. First as you imagine is easier to do, but does not mean better.

Thank you.

But the monitor show me the tables that need runstats, then I think that I can get a list of tables some way.

reorgchk automatically run first runstats then generates report for doing reorg.
    then why need to run runstats before reorgchk??
    Regards
    Pawan Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by Pawan Kumar View Post
    reorgchk automatically run first runstats then generates report for doing reorg.
    then why need to run runstats before reorgchk??
    Never had lock-problems during runstats... except when invoked from the reorgchk.
    So I'd discourage anyone to let reorgchk do the runstats for you, except when you're in your maintanace window.

Quote Originally Posted by robert_tr View Post
    Thank you.

But the monitor show me the tables that need runstats, then I think that I can get a list of tables some way.
    I do not compute what you are asking/saying. Maybe I just need stronger coffee
    --
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Thanks

Thank's friends, I found the answer:

db2 GET HEALTH SNAPSHOT FOR DB ON db_name

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by robert_tr View Post
    Thank's friends, I found the answer:

db2 GET HEALTH SNAPSHOT FOR DB ON db_name
    If you are going to rely on automatic maintenance, you might just enable AUTO_RUNSTATS. Keep in mind though that the health monitor is not necessarily accurate in determining when statistics become stale.

Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    If you are going to rely on automatic maintenance, you might just enable AUTO_RUNSTATS. Keep in mind though that the health monitor is not necessarily accurate in determining when statistics become stale.
    OK, thanks, I appreciate it.

RUNSTAT in zOS

what is the equivalent of this in DB2 for zOS? is there such a command "reorgchk" in zOS DB2?

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by macalalad View Post
    what is the equivalent of this in DB2 for zOS? is there such a command "reorgchk" in zOS DB2?
    Yes, at least as far back as Version 7 and probably far before that.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Yes, at least as far back as Version 7 and probably far before that.

-PatP
    Thanks Pat. are you talking about this "reorgchk" facility? or is it part of the 'REORG' utility?

Can this reorgchk 'command' or stored procedure be invoked from DB2I as a DB2 command?

I haven't seen it in any quickref manual (IBM version 10 docos)..

Just thought I'd ask this for info to any newbie like me.
    Last edited by macalalad; 09-08-15 at 22:14. Reason: to be more direct