Unanswered: How Long to Take Over an Application

Hi,

I am assigned to take over an Access application with Oracle as backend. There is very limited resource available, no documentations... the guy who originally supporting this system has left already...

Now, I need to modify one of the functionalities. I know both Access and Oracle well, however the business logics seem complex. How long should I estimate for this task?

TIA

Provided Answers: 19
    How in the world do you expect anyone here, without knowing your skill set/skill level or even what you're trying to accomplish, to tell you how long it will take?

The fact that you would even ask such an inane question suggests that it will probably take a very long time.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

The skillset has been mentioned in my post

that I know both Access and Oracle well.

It hardly estimatable for such task, but I was hoping to get some suggestions if anybody had similar experience or shed me some light on how to delegate the answer to PM.

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Springwater View Post
    that I know both Access and Oracle well.
    Sorry, but this tells us absolutely nothing about your skill level, only how you perceive yourself.
    ...I was hoping to get some suggestions if anybody had similar experience...the business logics seem complex
    'Experience' at what? "...the business logics seem complex" gives us no clue whatsoever as to what you're facing!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 1
    I was hoping to get some suggestions if anybody had similar experience or shed me some light on how to delegate the answer to PM.
    Delegate the answer to PM? What does that mean exactly?

If you really knew Access and Oracle very well, I can't imagine you would be unaware of the massive discrepancy between information required to answer your question, and information you have provided.

Probably somewhere between two hours and three years.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Hi,

I am assigned to take over an Access application with Oracle as backend. There is very limited resource available, no documentations... the guy who originally supporting this system has left already...

Now, I need to modify one of the functionalities. I know both Access and Oracle well, however the business logics seem complex. How long should I estimate for this task?

TIA
    I know many programmers that have only supported their own applications. I would say that they know Access very well. But they are completely lost when trying to take over an application they did not develop.

One of the biggest problems I see with most custom software/in-house apps is that that are poorly documented, if at all. No standards were followed. You get the idea. It is NOT easy to take over a application some else write.

How long this will take not only depends on you experience in taking over applications but also on the skills of the other person and how well the application is written. A well designed application is a lot easier to take over that one that is "spaghetti code".

Taking over an application that some else wrote is not easy. It is almost an art. I have been working on application written by other for for 30+ years. I have a developed and purchased tools to help. I also have developed techniques and skills to make taking over an application or adding modification without breaking it. If you are only developing and working your own applications then you would probably not any need for these tools or the need to develop the techniques for this.

Since you know more about the project, you are in a much better position to make an estimate than only one in this forum.

If we all have misunderstood what you want then you should consider rephrasing your question.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11