Unanswered: Activate Custom menu on startup

Hi all,

I'm using Access 2007 and I have a custom menu. Currently when the database opens, the user has to click on "Add-Ins" in order to see it. Is there a way for me automate that?

I found one way to do it, but it gets rid of the existing menu with Database Tools, which is still needed.

Thanks in advance,
    Joanne

I am assuming you are using a .MDB/.MDE with Access 2007.

I have experienced the same thing. I would also like a solution to this.

I will be glad to work with you to figure out a solution.

Would you mind sharing what you found that will work but it gets rid of the existing menu with Database Tools?
    Last edited by HiTechCoach; 11-17-10 at 13:33.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

From Microsoft:

Set Access 2007 to use custom menu bars

Open your legacy database in Access 2007.
    Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Access Options.
    In the Access Options dialog box, click Current Database.
    Under Toolbar Options, clear the Allow Full Menus and Allow Built-in Toolbars check boxes.
    Click OK.

Please let me know if you find a solution to the other problem! Thanks.

Joanne,

Under Toolbar Options, clear the Allow Full Menus and Allow Built-in Toolbars check boxes
    I was not turning off "Allow Built-in Toolbars" also. That made it work for me.

Now my 2003 MDE front end runs with a similar look and menu style like it did in 2003.

You stated:
    ... it gets rid of the existing menu with Database Tools, which is still needed.
    Do you use this for development or do the end user use these options?

I would think you only need these options for development and not for the end users.

I have ever database split. Before I deploy the new front end as an MDE, I open the copy that is ready to be deployed and lock it down.

The development "master" copy still has all the menus, etc. turned on.

If your database is not split:
    While developing you could turn on the Allow Full Menus and Allow Built-in Toolbars options. When done you would turn them off the options before letting the users back in.

If the end user do use these options you could add them to your own custom menu bar.
    Last edited by HiTechCoach; 11-17-10 at 13:34.
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.

Thanks, I appreciate your interest in the how and why of what I'm doing. Most of what you are asking/suggesting has been discussed and rejected. I've been doing this for almost 20 years... yes, the database is split...no, it's not an mde because this particular client is not your usual end user. They are very good at creating their own queries, exporting to other Office products, even creating and linking new tables in SQL Server. So, I can't tie their hands.

The question still remains that I'd like to keep the standard Access menubar as well as automatically showing the new menu that I created for the additional functionality of this particular accdb.

Joanne,

Ah ... one of those clients.

Using a custom menu bar in an MDB/MDE with Acess 2007/2010 has some issues is you still want to use the Ribbon

Is the database still an MDB or has it been converted to an ACCDB?

If an ACCDB, would you consider using a tool that will convert the menu bar into a Ribbon?