Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Request.Form("controlname") not working

Good day,

I have a problem that has started cropping up all of a sudden on certain PC's on my network, not all of them and sometimes the screen works on all the PC's.

The error that gets displayed is as follows:
    error '8002801d'

/WebPage.asp, line 73

Line 73 reads:
    if Request.Form("controlname") = "Add" then

What would cause this to happen all of a sudden? As I said the problem does not exist on all the PC's and those that do experience the problem don't always experience the problem??!!

I am really confused and have been battling this for 2.5 weeks now.

Please can someone help.

My Server configuration is as follows:
    IIS v6.0
    Windows Server 2003 R2 Service Pack 2
    Last edited by plsh; 11-17-10 at 03:40.

Google your error message. You'll see it is not related to post/get variables at all.

Do you have a call to an email process just before/after that line, by chance? Or in some other way calling CreateObject() to an external lib? ASP can give you erroneous line numbers sometimes...

Also, do you have load balancing/multiple servers?

Also, also, the problem is not going to be with the clients. Classic ASP does not execute on the client...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Hi Teddy,

Yes I have seen 1000's of possible postings and have tried a good few dozen.

I do not call to an email process before or after the line in question.

I do have a CreateObject line though:
    set MyConnection = CreateObject("Adodb.Connection")
    But I have tested this line on the PC in question that is having the problem and that line works 100%.
    No load balancing / multiple servers

Ok if it is not the client then I am even more lost as some times the page works on the clients PC and other times not. I would recon about 60% of the time it works and 40% of the time it does not work.

I just don't understand and I am COMPLETELY!! lost.

Please someone, if you have had this problem, please help.

I think you're missing a bunch of things about the fundamental architecture of ASP. ASP executes on the server as an ISAPI extension to IIS. Clients never even know it happened. In fact, IIS prevents clients from ever getting the raw code themselves. If they did get the code, they wouldn't be able to do anything with it without loading it up on to their own IIS server (since classic ASP is an IIS ISAPI extension, as we already mentioned).

So, your problem is somewhere on the server. The error message you're receiving says you have a problem with a registered type library. I doubt ADODB is not registered, so I would be inclined to check anywhere else I'm newing up an instance of an external type. I would also be looking at RegMon/ProcMon/FileMon for access denial issues, specifically with COM/COM+ attempts.

My reason for thinking it is a PC related issue is that there are some PC's that NEVER have the problem and work all the time. Then there are others that at times do not work. I will keep digging.

Is the application secured by chance? Another place to look might be who's logged in as opposed to the computer they're using at the time. If you're doing some kind of impersonation on the server, this could also cause a problem.

The webpage is set up with Integrated Windows Authentication and Basic Authentication (password is sent in clear text). Could this be the problem?

It could be. If I were you, I'd try logging in as known good users from trouble pc's and isolate the issue.

Some things that might be causing this problem...

What is the configuration of the browsers on the different PC's? Are they all the same? Have some disabled cookies? Can you use a machine that has been reset to the defaults and see if that works, it if does reset the specific client machines and see what happens.

The other thing that may be causing the problem is not the PC but the user of the PC. It could be that (for example) when you click the submit button the code works but if you hit the enter key it does not.

HTH