Unanswered: Syntax error rename column sql

Hi

I am trying to rename a column in my table and I keep on getting a syntax error message. This is very annoying since I have been sitting on this problem for ages now and I just cannot see what I am doing wrong!!!!!

DoCmd****nSQL ("ALTER table tbl_holding RENAME COLUMN [Work Location#Work Location - Country] TO 'Work Location - Country';")

Please help!

My first response is that is not valid SQL. You got a source?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Ok, checked and it is not valid.
    Intermediate Microsoft Jet SQL for Access 2000

You need to create the new one and drop the old one. If you have data in the table you need to update the new column before dropping the old one.

Since you are changing names, I would recommend using alphanumerics only, and optionally underscore. No spaces or dashes.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Do you mind posting the link again. I could not access the last copy.

s

I think there is an error with MSDN. I have had trouble with other MS sites today. Google for "Jet Intermediate SQL". Use the Cached version. There are also Basic and Advanced SQL documents. They are excellent.

It might seem rather obvious now, but fabricating your own syntax and then spending a day "debugging" it is not going to get yourself anywhere very fast. I know the syntax looks sensible enough but it's not any use if the application doesn't recognise it.

Anyway, you know the docs to refer to now for JET DDL.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump