Unanswered: "The data has been changed" error, must have record locks

I'm relatively new to Access and have to use it for work. I'm not sure how much information I can divulge but any help would be greatly appreciated. I built a database that is being used by many people. I have a main table where my information is stored and I have an "Open" and "Closed" column for orders. Then I have a query that filters the table for open orders only. Finally all my forms are based off of the open only query. So basically I start with a lot of general information which include a couple of forms, then I have a few filter queries to highlight specific information and they all have forms. Now the problem is that I have to deal with people who do not listen. At first I had no record locks at all. But because people would leave open the dB and not close out the screen or click off a record a write error would occur. So I sent out an emailing giving the proper instructions for the write error, but they didn't listen so I had a bunch of corrupt data in my database and had to go into the back end and compact and repair like 3 times a week. So now I put edited record locks on all the forms and because people still won't exit properly I keep getting emails about "the data has been changed...re edit the record." In my dealings I have only had to click ok and I could then re edit the record but people are having to keep clicking ok and cannot edit the record. Is there a way around this? I need everyone to be able to edit things. Thanks for your help

Provided Answers: 19
    The first question to ask here "Is is this a split database?" Multiple users on a single, non-split database placed on a server is a sure fire way to experience problems such as you've described as well as the data corruption.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

split database

Yes the database is split 3 ways a master, a back end, and a front end, the front end contains the forms and the queries and tables that are necessary. They don't have access to the tables they just see a switchboard which lets them use the form. I think for now though I found a solution. I found a way to kick idle users from the database from tek-tips.com. But people may get upset at this so I need to find another way around this

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris711 View Post
    Yes the database is split 3 ways a master, a back end, and a front end...the front end contains the forms and the queries and tables
    Never heard of a three-way split in a database! What exactly is a master?

Also, the back end normally contains all tables, not the front end.

Lastly, is there a copy of the front end on each user's machine?
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

The 3 way split is necessary. The master is the dB that performs all the necessary tasks like appending, updating, etc. Since this db needs to be updated everyday and has about 5 different tables of input I need 3 db's. The back end does have all my tables in it. The front end tables and master tables are all linked. This is important because if someone doesn't have enable all macros on their computer or screws something up all my data is safe in the back end and all I have to do is fix some code in the master or the front end. My front end is barebones just a switchboard my forms, the queries the forms are based off of, and the necessary tables. My front end also contains some queries that allow me to know the user id of the person opening and closing records and making comments. And everyone has a copy of the shortcut to my front end on their desktop. hope this helps

Great now because this error keeps popping up my boss wants me to take the record locks off. Any idea on what I can do because now I'm going to get corrupt data like every freaking day. I tried sending out an email about what to do with the write error but people are stupid and don't do what they're told so I need some help.

Provided Answers: 14
    One solution that comes to my mind would consist in working with unbound forms and perform the data changes through SQL statements. See the attached file for an example on how it can (rather) easily be done.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Have a nice day!