Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3

    Unanswered: Migrating MS SQL DB to New Domain

    Hi Guys I am planning to migrate MS SQL 2005 Database from Domain A to MS SQl Server 2008 Database on domain B. My application is using integrated loging for users to get access to the database.
    Can you please let me know the exact steps to Migrate DB from Domain A to Domain B with integrated login.

    Urgent help will be highly appriciated. I have gone through mani KB articles on MS.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In front of the computer
    Posts
    15,579
    Provided Answers: 54
    As long as domain trust exists within the Active Directory forrest, you can just backup and restore the database then grant appropriate permissions to any AD users from Domain B.

    -PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for your reply.
    We are going use only domain B- we are completely decommisioning Domain A and servers. Completely moving to a new environment with new domain name.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In front of the computer
    Posts
    15,579
    Provided Answers: 54
    I have about a thousand questions that I'd have to ask to give you a definitive answer. You've touched on many different subjects and I don't have a clear picture of just what you're doing.

    If you are taking an existing machine as in DomainA\Server281 and simply defecting from the doman and then joining another domain so that you become DomainB\Server281, then you have one set of issues to handle.

    If you are backing up the databases from DomainA\Server 937, somehow magically copying the files to DomainB\MyShinnyNewServer and restoring the backups, then you have a very different problem to solve.

    If you are splitting an existing AD forest into trees, then merging those trees into a different AD forrest (so that the machine name and configuration would stay exactly the same, but it would have a new SID and parent) then you have a VERY different problem to solve.

    If I haven't covered whichever approach you plan, then you've got one mell of a hess to solve!

    The short answer boils down to "There isn't a short answer". Your problem is complex. Without a detailed understanding of your undertaking, I don't know any way to give you a simple process for how to resolve it. Whatever the solution is, I'd be surprised if it is really difficult and common sense will solve more than 90% of the problems you might find. The other 10% can be really ugly, but those are truly "self inflicted injuries" so I can't get too excited about them. The general idea goes something like:

    Make good backups
    Think through the process.
    Did you make those backups yet?
    Plan your process out in detail
    Have you checked those backups to be sure they're good.
    Execute your plan, but rely on your backups!

    -PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    My scenario is:

    I am backing up the databases from DomainA\Server 937, copying the files to DomainB\MyShinnyNewServer and restoring the backups.
    Can you suggest how do I manage /migrate windows integrated users.
    Sys admin is going to migrates AD users and going to create the same User group (same name and users as old server).

    Would appriciate your kind help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •