Unanswered: Urgent help needed Please- The database needs to be repaired or isnt a database file

Dear colleagues,

I am having a serious problem with my database this morning,
    Apparently the database has become corrupt. When I tried to open the databse I got the following error message:

The database ' local and name of database.mdb' needs to be repaired or isn't a database file.
    you or another user may hve unexpectedly quit Microsoft Accesss while a Microsoft Access database was open
    Do you want Microsoft Access to attempt to repaire the database/

When I click on Yes, i then get this error " Not a valid password"
    then another popup window saying " The database ' location and name of databse' can't be repaired or isn't a microsoft access databasefile.
    I press ok again, then I get the same message saying " Not a valid password"

I also tried the Compact and Repair on the backend and I got the same messages again.

I tried to import the table Definition Only into a new database to see if I can delete the corrupt record but it gives me the same above mentioned error messages.

I woul be extremly grateful for any help on this as I urgently need to get the database working.

Thank you for cooperation on this.
    Emi-UK
    Love begets Love, Help Begets Help

Provided Answers: 19
    I tried to import the table Definition Only into a new database to see if I can delete the corrupt record but it gives me the same above mentioned error messages.
    First off, I'm confused by the above statement. If you import the Table Definition Only you're only importing the design of the table, you're not importing any records at all! Secondly, in my experience, corrupted records are seldom identifiable by inspection.

Allen Browne has some excellent tutorials on both prevention and recovery from corruption. Go to this site Microsoft Access help, tutorials, examples and scroll 3/4 of the way down the page to the Corruption/Repair section, and pay particular attention to the first two articles.

From the frantic tone of your post, I'm guessing that this is a mission critical app and that you don't have a recent backup copy, which begs the question "Why don't you?"

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007